The bluestone debate

Pages: 39 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: The bluestone debate
Jun 21, 2006, 16:36
From a diving site -
"Over the years there have been several reports of blue stones being seen by divers on the bottom of Milford Haven and the surrounding coastline, but nothing had ever been proved"
http://www.divernet.com/archaeol/1200stone.htm

"Worked ballast stones" sounds like a cover story put round by the glacierati and their lizard friends. It would fall apart if they had tenons.
Cursuswalker
Cursuswalker
597 posts

Jun 21, 2006, 19:42
When trollish men
They post again
In an attempt to mingle

They often lack
Those things called facts
As typing fingers tingle.

Then Druids get minsunderstood
Quite wilfully it seems
I said the Druids built Stonehenge?

You muppet! In your dreams.
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Jun 21, 2006, 20:12
Well I've got advanced open water diving certification if anyone can give me the GPS coords.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 21, 2006, 20:19
"Worked ballast stones" sounds like a cover story put round by the glacierati and their lizard friends. It would fall apart if they had tenons.

Working in the dark here but it might not have been a good idea to cut the tenons until the stones were actually on site. All we really need, to disprove the glacial theory, are one or two dressed bluestones in Wales (or en route to Salisbury Plain).

Over the years there have been several reports of blue stones being seen by divers on the bottom of Milford Haven and the surrounding coastline, but nothing had ever been proved.

As you say, sounds like a fun project for someone... (but don't we have to geophys the buried Avebury stones first ;-)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 21, 2006, 20:22
Yuck - need to work on the UBB Code a bit more :-(
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 21, 2006, 20:25
Well I've got advanced open water diving certification if anyone can give me the GPS coords.

Crikey, would you really be up for that Steve? Sounds like a TV prog in the making.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jun 21, 2006, 20:33
I'm going to throw something else into the pot, though I'm on the side of the bluestones already being at Stonehenge..
If you look at Bedd Arthur, its horseshoe shape is very reminscent of the horseshoe shape at Stonehenge, which might be a coincidence but Bedd Arthur is opposite to Carn Meini (though not facing it) and is undated...Prehistoric Preseli - Figgis

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/45 the only photo that shows the actual shape!
Atkinson in his book Stonehenge, says that a (again quoting) bluestone boulder was found in the second section of the waterway route. Someone else says, that the "Flemings Way" was originally a prehistoric trackway, so could have been the overland route to E.Cleddau, but no one is going to drag/float heavy stones for 180 miles....
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Jun 21, 2006, 20:38
BTW there is a carving of a horseshoe shape on the cupmarked stone on Fyfield down at Avebury.
http://www.users.myisp.co.uk/~gtour/Dig2003/CupMarks.gif
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Jun 21, 2006, 23:01
If I knew where to look I might be tempted to give it a go. How deep do you think we are talking? Dive time is very dependent on depth. The deeper you go the more air you use with each breath and the longer it takes to get down and back up again. Even with spare tanks you can't extend your bottom time by much without incurring lengthy decompression stops (which themselves require further air) and significantly extended intervals between dives. For example, the maximum recommended bottom time at 40m is only 9 minutes for normal recreational diving.

At around 10m a tank typically lasts me 40 minutes or so (I'm a heavy-breather), but at 20m that might be reduced to about 25 minutes. You can dive for longer with oxygen enriched air (Nitrox) and I'm planning to do the training for that this summer. Even so, you still can't cover a very big search area in any one dive and it's not cheap to hire the gear, so you need to have a pretty good idea where to start looking. Any suggestions?
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 22, 2006, 05:21
...you need to have a pretty good idea where to start looking. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately not (though maybe someone else has). Hopefully a previous sighting, or a new one, will come to light - a controlled dive would then be well worth undertaking. It'd be nice to pin this one down on information that a dressed bluestone would provide.
Pages: 39 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index