The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Annexus Quam
926 posts

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
Dec 03, 2001, 22:58
On the huge super-natural landscapes of Antequera in southern sunny Andalusian lands are the vast repositories of ancient humanity known as Menga, Viera and Romeral. These three (I do not use this word for fun) *immense* passage graves have stood in view of a bent mountain, for at least 2,000 years, each alligned to a different point in the natural calendar. I know of (y)our constant preoccupation with things megalithic, but I sometimes wish more attention was paid to the Mother that inspired the monuments. The huge monuments of Antequera are well-known, being among the grandest in scale, weight and size of the stones that make up the walls of the interiors. But my interest was obviously somewhere ELSE, as this little old man took me and Miss Fortune through the opening in the wiring. He guided four of us straight to the *monumental* barrows. Solar/astral, phallic/sexual or man/female symbols adorn one of the walls. I quickly searched the Mother for clues. This huge crooked phallic mountain intrigued me, and I have sometimes seen her in various guises in the line of vision of a megalithic temple. Othertimes, there’s this gorgeously long snake-like hill seen from a perfect and calculated angle. As I’ve always said, the Mother is the principal perpetrator of the inspiration for the creation of most of the monuments. Think of all the monuments you have ever seen and wonder how many landmarks you have missed as you looked inside the stones. Most of the stones we see today spent most of their pre-Christian existence in total darkness, therefore *invisible* to visitors. To ignore the land around a Neolithic/Bronze Age community is like ignoring the love or intention behind a present given to you. Have a look at any map of France, Iberia, the British Isles or the Pyrenees and you will find most megalithic monuments ‘attuned to’ a special area of the land, that often coincides with what modern institutions now call a natural park. Atheist/christian ideals have us believe they possess “leisure” qualities, though, in truth, the powerful presence of Creation and Spirituality ooze out and soak anyone who is ‘slightly receiving’. It wouldn’t be otherwise in Antequera. For not far from the tombs is Torcal, one of the most mysterious and beautiful places I have ever seen. Once up on the mountains, the splendour of the granite is magnificent, as well as the biting wind, and the shapes, slits, holes and protruding rocks transform this place into one of pure and utter magick. As I walked alone inside this vast repository of the most spiritual silence, I suddenly felt blessed and afraid at the same time; a familiar feeling when in awe of something that is so full of Light and mystery. Some explorers used to call this ‘a city of stone’ and I can also feel the tremendous power that this (like many other natural areas in the ancient world) must have imprinted on every single man and woman who lived and loved the land, the giver of births and existence.
A week or so after this discovery, a visit to a remote megalithic corner near the tiny village of Zalamea, near the Algarve, made my day (and year). This group of dolmens are virtually unknown in a global megalithic context, but impressive in their complexity and beauty. Some of these huge multi-chambered mushrooms litter the landscape, and there’s even an intact passage grave, dead scary to go in without a torch. Another 8 tombs remain in the same area, perfectly in view of one another and proudly atop hills all conceived for a visual celebration of the skies and the wind. The whole of the Andalusian and Algarve territory is immensely rich in passage graves and dolmens, the likes of which would rival those photographed aplenty in books, but which sadly (or luckily) still lie dormant in remote corners of rural Iberia.
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Iberia
Dec 03, 2001, 22:59
It is not uncommon to come across the most incredible passage graves and dolmens in remote corners of Iberia, where no-one but a stray shepherd roams; sometimes not even the locals are aware of them. You will find no crystals, candles, flowers or other stupid memoranda of New Age sufferers of modern ennui. This 20 day long journey exploring the southernmost coasts of Megalithic Europe has made me aware of (yet) another contender for the title of Hub of Megalithic Europe for its dimensions, complexity and natural wealth. I have seen amazing dolmens on forgotten farmland in the middle of Nowhere that could rival the most famous ones. If they are not destroyed first, these temples will be highlights in romantic travels a few years down the line. A pity that much beauty still lies sad and neglected in private property. Time will tell.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

He's back !!!
Dec 04, 2001, 08:41
Truly beautiful. OK ... let's get an itinery sorted ... where's me rucksack?
Martin
401 posts

Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
Dec 04, 2001, 11:05
Know what ya mean... When I first set out in search of megaliths I was only interested in the sites themselves- I never looked up, never looked at the land- I was only interested in the invisible straight line to the next site. Now my eyes have been opened to a whole ancient landscape- the hills have been around for so much longer than the megalith builders and I'm finally getting into that mind-set of landscape interpretation and inspiration (see my Tormain Hill notes). In search for new sites nowadays I'll often look to the highest hills first and the horizon/skylines and many times I've been blown away by finding sites either on top of those hills, or around the base, such as Corstorphine Hill in Edinburgh, or the monoliths around Huly Hill that point back to Corstorphine Hill and Arthurs Seat.
Cheery,
T-Know
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Re: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
Dec 05, 2001, 22:37
'In search for new sites nowadays I'll often look to the highest hills first and the horizon/skylines and many times I've been blown away by finding sites either on top of those hills, or around the base'

you read my thoughts.

this is certainly one of the strategies inside the psychology of ancient man.

As you say, the straight line to a site couldn't be more miserable; once in there, you realise you have come all the way to see a bunch of stone rubble supposed to be full of vibes - but the thing is, when this does not happen, you realise it's because modern man is almost completely disconnected from REALITY (i.e.the land). You leave your modern home miles away, travel by modern means and grab your camera off the PVC rucksack. One can minimise this alienation to a certain extent so as to get as much as possible into the ancient mind but never get rid of it altogether; after all, a stone site as it stands today is a ruin of something more grand and more sublime, only reconstruction or the imagination takes you back to the time when, say, a stone dolmen, used to be invisible and all you could see was, possibly, the stones glowing in the dark interior seen from a narrow entrance/hole through a long passage. But one cannot deny the impressive power of the skeleton of a site, as a kind of ancient powerful beacon in the middle of a modern countryside.

I often have an area in mind but get completely absorbed by the sites in between and very often never even manage to get to where I intended in the first place.

I am also obsessed by what seem to be natural gods in the landscape that created a point of worship for the neolithics. Many stones even mirror them.

And there's usually always ONE of them around. The only exception being the huge monumental passage graves of the south, which acted round the late neolithic / early bronze as artificial 'natural' centres or hills in themselves, and very often standing somewhat arrogantly alone on huge plains.
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Re: He's back !!!
Dec 05, 2001, 22:47
Ta 4winder, there's been intense discussion round these parts that I have missed and it would be insane not to do anything but quickly browse through the main threads in a couple of the not-so-general forums so as to catch up.

But I've found no mention of your Irish website or book? Are you familiar with Weir's book Irish Fieldwork or something? Is it worth every penny? The one I use re Eire is Brennan's Guide to Megalithic Ireland which is dead hard as reference cos the sights turn up in alphabetical order (which I hate in gazetteers)

Hopefully your own work will create the definitive guide.

?
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: He's back !!!
Dec 06, 2001, 09:07
Hi AQ
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

I'll finish that message here shall I?
Dec 06, 2001, 09:22
Hi AQ
I haven't actually seen Weir's book, but I know of his work (I presume you are refering to Anthony Weir). In fact I'm meeting him for Summer Solstice sunset and Ballynoe stone circle. Should be good. On the Saturday he is giving me a bit of a tour of the sites in County Down. Quite frankly I can't wait !!

I was actually talking to him about your comments on Iberia and he stated that the south of France and parts of Spain are his favourite areas for sites. Matching what he said with your comments I really must go there ... and soon. It may have to wait until I have a little more of Ireland done and the Isle of Man (and Anglesey revisited) awaits me in February.

He (AW) has recently incorporated some of my photos on his web site and is using some in a CD-ROM that he is currently finishing off for publication.

It would be wonderful to think that in 2 years time I can publish a definitive guide, it is certainly what I am aiming for. I don't think I can produce something with the style and class of TMA as my approach is different to Julian, albeit only slightly.

I have just ordered my new webspace (finally) and will be enlarging all the current entries on my site when I transfer it. Photo's will also be better quality. Look out for the new URL when I get the registration cleared.
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Re: I'll finish that message here shall I?
Dec 06, 2001, 11:59
Blimey! Isn't the world small???

I met someone in the Basqueland who told me of an Irishman-stalker very interested in his work on the Basque dolmens and stone circles, after coming across his photos, like me, by chance, in a photo-shop in Donostia/San Sebastian. He was an archaeologist, so could it have been him?

Of course I am referring to A. Weir, I've been looking for the definitive Irish fieldguide and I liked the book reviews and the title.

As for Iberia, I've been raving about it for the last three years, as well as travelling extensively around its many 'nations'. Once you get over the hurdles of diet the vast countryside opens up like a limitless land of freedom (barring the hunters and other species of wankers). Spain is a pork-devourer of incredible proportions, and meat is cooked in all varieties as an accompaniment to all meals. Thus, the best thing to do is to only eat the first course, which is usually a healthy dish of veg, pulse, etc However, if you manage to find one without pork bits tell me.
Check out my 'ancient' raving posts on Monsaraz / Portugal and other places by selecting the forum's threads by name if you have the time. Since I am called Annexus, they should be among the first to appear, right after the late a23...who's now hybernating.

I see you've found the Kilmartin site....have you noticed, to go back to my earlier thread on River Gods, how the disposition of cairns and standing stones is laid along the rivers? Forget the duns, they were Iron Age defensive thangs, as far as I know, so they would be logically placed near the sea.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: I'll finish that message here shall I?
Dec 06, 2001, 12:25
I will try and blag a couple of copies from Mr Weir .. if there are still some about. I am hoping to collaborate with him on a project that will mix our two very different styles but join our similar views. Could be interesting. His book is quite old now and the pictures are 'rendered collectors items' (his words) by the buggeration and rape of the Irish countryside over the last 20 years and man's total incapability to grow and preserve at the same time.

On a slightly different note .....
I stumbled across this web site too

http://megalith.ru/indexeng.shtml

Russian dolmens !! I knew there were 'some' in the Black Sea area but the numbers mentioned here (3000+ and climbing) is incredible. And again due to the 'untouchedness' of the area new ones are being 'discovered' all the time. Too many holidays to take .... I get confused.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index