Something completely different

10 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Something completely different
Apr 21, 2005, 09:24
One comment I have on this is that doing so does not automatically result in a circle or curve. You could draw a straight line on the ground and walk along that marking the spot where the alignment is apparent. This could actually explain some stone rows that don't point at anything, but are in places where obvious 'sighting' points lie in obvious directions.

I don't know of anyone else who's considered rows and alignments with this in mind. I've started to study a few stone rows in this manner and have some ideas about a couple of them, but more time is needed.

To make a curve or circle you would have to tie another pole to the positioned one and then move with the string taut to get the spot for your alignment. If you tried to do the curve thing by eye you would almost certainly end up with an elipsoid thing. But many stone circles have equal spacing and the technique above wouldn't create that. Also, it can't be applied to the vast majority of Irish stone circles as they conform to patterns - 5, 7, 9, 13, 17 stones etc. Maybe some of the Scottish or Cumbrian ones fit the format?

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index