The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Something completely different

10 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Something completely different
Apr 21, 2005, 09:13
I think I've posted a link to this amazing site before… http://www.megalithicsites.co.uk/horast2.html

One particular thing struck me:

"By taking particular care in their choice of foresights the ancient astronomers could prolong the setting of the Moon by several minutes. These critical extra minutes allowed the observers the extra time to shift their ground and so ´move´ the Moon precisely into the bottom of the notch. This specific place of observation was then marked by driving a stake into the ground at the observer's feet. This observing practice would continue night after night with a fresh stake driven at each observation until a curve had been described on the ground."

… To me, the implication would be that (maybe) some arrangements of stones weren't intended for single observations but were determined by "tracking" observations as a result of the observer moving his position. If there was anything in this it would open up a huge field of observation (and argument…) at lots of sites. Callanish springs to mind, and double rows, and maybe even circles.

Is this old hat? Any comments?

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index