Anglesey! folds up raleigh bikes!

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Standing Stones
Jul 21, 2001, 13:47
Heh, 38 years of waiting? Ha.
Which particular sites are you talking about? Just Meini Hirion? Be a bit more precise for your own sake! What can you say of the Anglesey farmers' supposedly fierce reputation? Any bad experience? Dribble's fine only when there's some hidden relevance! And I never use XXX to sign after me name. How you must be cringing at not being able to use people's identities on this site, hah! Find my password and I will give you the refund myself! There's something for you to do in your eternally spare time next week.

Now, the obsessive me and the obsessive you are both wondering...'Yet on my travels round the Island i seemed to be coming across standing stone after standing stone, that are not mentioned in the book.. Are these stones actual standing stones and how the hell can you tell?' - I know that feeling, in stone-rich areas the traveller's bound to be overwhelmed and that's why the ancients'selected' that particular land for their mythicscape. If you check the map of any country you will notice that the ancients chose the granite-rich areas for their monuments, so once you arrive in one of those places a huge stone landscape opens up and enormous amounts of standing stones appear.

The question 'which ones are real ones?' is irrelevant when you relate your position in the ancient's mindscape - some of these are even medieval boundary markers therefore inessential, and that's why *you* become the primal actor in a new virtual landscape - position yourself on a spot and start visioning sites in relation to the landscape features. Usually, a neolithic/bronze standing stone is positioned there for a purpose. Many standing stones in Wales may be only markers, often at roadsides. Go for the huge phallic metaphor in the middle of the land, often placed in a strategic position above the rest of the land and not *entirely* visible or accessible, as if it made itself sacred and mysterious until, once found, it becomes powerful and glorious. And they are also sometimes 'prepared', with one side or more polished or varied in rough fashion, but always without altering the sacred natural aspect of the stone. If the standing stone is TOO polished, then it's bound to be medieval or christian. If it shows no signs of human intervention, it is most probably a natural boulder. Even then, where-ever there are massive concentrations of natural stone in a 'bunch' then it is quite basically the same 'bunch' that the ancients saw - if you are mystified and inspired by this vision then be sure this might be an ancient gorsedd - it didn't go unnoticed to them as it didn't go unnoticed to you.

The reason why most of the stones you saw are not in the antiquarian is because most of them may only be minor stones, unknown or later additions. But yes, I was a bit let down too when I saw the Mod Ant did not include ALL the known sites, at least in an annexus. On second thoughts, after seeing your moniker round these parts again...weren't you the one who was creating their own website or something? You are not very consistent, doodyo!
Telepathine
371 posts

Re: Anglesey! folds up raleigh bikes!
Jul 21, 2001, 22:37
Theres a nice book by Francis Lynch called 'Prehistoric Anglesey' ( funnily enough!!). Though even that doesn't go into every site/stone on that fair isle.
A geologist friend who works at Pary's Mountain from time to time said that theres a fella on the island who has mapped every standing stone, and grilled the Anglesey oldies about places where stones have been removed from to. I've been trying to get my friend to remember his address for years so i can get in touch, but he always seems to forget. (He also says the fella is 'fairly odd', which would be a huge surprise wouldn't it?)
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Re: Anglesey! folds up raleigh bikes!
Jul 22, 2001, 10:03
U-Sweetie,
1.I’m glad to have elicited your most articulate response since you joined this site, though I perversely admit to laughing at yours and avu’s dribble and quibble in secret, but keep this between you and me.
2.the farmers…hope they weren’t too dangerous – the thing that pisses me off this year is to see them taking advantage of the foot’n’mouth situation to keep the paths closed. Anglesey’s farmers are reputedly fierce anti-ramblers too.
3.well, alignments happen but I would not suggest they happen all the time – the ancients were mystical landscape revolutionaries but the tribes were not all uniform so I presume there are cases of standing stones being family-based/tribal standing stones with no alignment support anywhere else, though communities were all too important for this not to happen too often.
4.yes, the book is of course NOT the whole scene, just the most comprehensive attempt at including the best of the best in a perfect symphony of colour, poetry and images and it DID cope!
There’s not a hundred stones more to be found on the fair isles, there’s perhaps a few tens of thousands more:
Consider this: 1000 known tombs, 40,000 barrows, 900 standing stones and circles and, if you delve into the iron age, 2500 known hillforts.
We ourselves will only see a tiny percentage and it may well take up our lifetime, but the numbers repeat themselves in France, Spain, Portugal, Denmark, etc showing the vast extent and the enormous importance their ancient faith and mysticism had in (pre)-European culture, something which has always been arrogantly dismissed by post-christians and bigots when, in fact… it makes up our most Ur-iginal Spirituality. And, in today's conformist globalised sociological nincompoop-controlled ideologies, dismissed, as telepathine says, as 'odd' people doing 'odd' things.
5. kinky boots? Your getting closer…
6.send those pictures pronto, tonto and I may send you a scanned copy of me in grovelling mood amidst passage grave-ity glow. I say ‘may’ cos I am off soon to a curious landscape of natural standing stones with weird shapes – this is freaking me out as the Ur-religious gorsedd-like natural aspect of the whole area is so evident and eerie that it has of late become an obsession round here.
Annexus Quam
926 posts

chrome plated megaphone of destiny
Jul 22, 2001, 13:42
no no, they're gorgeous pix and they capture the spirit - I like Ty Mawr, taken late in the afternoon (?) so as to get a nice effect of the light and Ty Mawr-1 capturing the hill in the background (whether you intended to or not). I like them, why don't you send them over to someone who will copy them onto a cdr for you and then send the cdr back to you? I could do that but you, jigsterdolite, will have to wait ages, maybe a couple of months...wait wait wait

Heh, *precision*, beaten at my own game, respect! where am I off to? I suspect conan the barbarian was filmed there due to its incredible natural character but it's now time for me to travel there and I shall spew out its secrets later
Jez
12 posts

Oil on beaches in Anglesey???
Jul 22, 2001, 19:01
I heard something about some sort of vegetable oil washing up on beaches in Anglesey but couldn't find anything on yahoo news. Anyone know anything? Did you see anything like that when you were there jigsaw?
(Forgive me if this was mentioned in one of the posts above. I confess I didn't read them all thoroughly!)
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index