The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Callanish »
Callanish

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Scott7
174 posts

Callanish
Jul 16, 2001, 11:35
I've been wanting to get up to Callanish for ages, but living in London and not being able to drive limits my options a bit. Does anyone have any advice on how to get up there? Much appreciated,

Scott
Scott7
174 posts

Re: Callanish
Jul 16, 2001, 14:24
Thanks for that. To be honest, (and completely lazy) I was looking to fly. Has anyone out there actually flown up that way? I've looked around for flights and all the rates are stupid expensive.
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

Jul 16, 2001, 17:09
you might want to try your local flying club, and see if any of the Bold Aviators fancies a run up --- get a few people together to split the aviation fuel, and it might be less than you think ...

maybe ...

RG
Scott7
174 posts

Jul 16, 2001, 17:10
wow, that's a great idea! never would have thought of it.

thanks very much
caergog
393 posts

Jul 16, 2001, 23:35
I would suggest that you fly by easy jet from luton to inverness (cheap flights) then get a bus to ullapool, from inverness, and the ferry to stornoway in Lewis from there. You could probably fly to glasgow by easy jet too and do the other route if preferered. hope this helps, they are well worth a visit. We got b&b in stornaway when we went so it may be worth booking unless you decide to camp. I think there are buses/tours that go to Callanish from stornaway as it is a bit away. good luck
love caroline
Chris
Chris
165 posts

Jul 23, 2001, 23:21
We've just returned from Lewis-best flights I could manage were Go £29 return Stanstead-Glasgow, and then BA £102 (!) return to Stornoway.

Beats that gut emptying ferry anyway.
Enjoy your trip-it's well worth it whatever it costs!
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index