Virgin Travels

7 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Daredevil
21 posts

Re: Virgin Travels
Jul 26, 2001, 14:25
Well

My Travels are over. I spent only one day travelling around the area with the gorgeous Mrs Daredevil and was delighted with our expedition.

We started at the White Horse at Uffington and were partiicularly impressed with Dragon Hill.

We continued to Wayland's Smithy which was an absolute delight - the weather was also kind (to the extent that the minute we arrived back 'home' it bucketed down - how lucky was that?)

I really enjoyed the walk to WS and, I must admit, was surprised by the number of people attending the sites.

Our nest stop was Silbury Hill, where we greatly admired the structure. Mrs Daredevil told me of a recent Times article that explained the fencing atop and we spent the rest of the time trying to guess which house Jules lives in.

Finally to Avebury.

Now, as you know - we are kinda new to this and having read the main page on Avebury in Copey's book you can imagine how surprised we were at what we found (he does of course refer to the whole site throughout the book but I hadn't done my homework)

To say it was stunning would be an understatement.

There is something very spiritual about the site and I have made tentative plans to revisit in the winter(hopefully with snow on the ground) around the time of the winter solstice.

So our first journey was a HUGE success.

Our next planned stop is a bit closer to home - Arbor Low and surrounding sites

Once again, your advice and recommendations are much appreciated

PS (Sorrry I didn't get your note Arthur prior to our departure - we will visit there next time)

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index