Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Virgin Travels

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Daredevil
21 posts

Virgin Travels
Jul 11, 2001, 15:35
I am a recent 'explorer' in these realms (both virtual and actual) and have also recently bought the book (but not the T-shirt as yet) to guide my bemused wanderings.

Anyway this weekend brings my first sojourn, and from what I could tell I can think of no better place to start than Avebury. It looks truly spellbinding.

I was just getting all excitied about it and thought I would share it with you

Wish me luck
wychburyman
951 posts

Re: Virgin Travels
Jul 11, 2001, 16:23
Avebury is indeed a very good place to start (or perhaps end).

But please spare a thought on your travels for the small and less well known places in Albion.

Visit the sacred wells, the mother hills, tacks and the hill forts to get a real feel for ancient Britain.

Go with your gut instinct on your travels and you are bound to hit some jewels that convey the atmosphere and not just postcards and trinket shops.

Good luck, and keep us all posted.
Daredevil
21 posts

Jul 12, 2001, 09:11
Thanks for your message wychburyman

I will wander where my legs lead me
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Jul 12, 2001, 12:05
travel 'Air Mother', Daredevil ! that 'Caesar Speed' corporation nearly killed us all!

Happy journeying

Morfe.
Arthur
21 posts

Jul 13, 2001, 11:39
Daredevil, will you be spending one or two days in Avebury this weekend? If two days, I would suggest that you try to get to Adam's Grave and Knapp Hill. This area is not as crowded with visitors over the weekend and I have always had amazing times visiting these two particular sites. If only one day in Avebury, I can't imagine that you will be able to drag yourself away from inside the henge. Have an amazing time and let us know how you got on.
Daredevil
21 posts

Jul 26, 2001, 14:25
Well

My Travels are over. I spent only one day travelling around the area with the gorgeous Mrs Daredevil and was delighted with our expedition.

We started at the White Horse at Uffington and were partiicularly impressed with Dragon Hill.

We continued to Wayland's Smithy which was an absolute delight - the weather was also kind (to the extent that the minute we arrived back 'home' it bucketed down - how lucky was that?)

I really enjoyed the walk to WS and, I must admit, was surprised by the number of people attending the sites.

Our nest stop was Silbury Hill, where we greatly admired the structure. Mrs Daredevil told me of a recent Times article that explained the fencing atop and we spent the rest of the time trying to guess which house Jules lives in.

Finally to Avebury.

Now, as you know - we are kinda new to this and having read the main page on Avebury in Copey's book you can imagine how surprised we were at what we found (he does of course refer to the whole site throughout the book but I hadn't done my homework)

To say it was stunning would be an understatement.

There is something very spiritual about the site and I have made tentative plans to revisit in the winter(hopefully with snow on the ground) around the time of the winter solstice.

So our first journey was a HUGE success.

Our next planned stop is a bit closer to home - Arbor Low and surrounding sites

Once again, your advice and recommendations are much appreciated

PS (Sorrry I didn't get your note Arthur prior to our departure - we will visit there next time)
AHAB
109 posts

Jul 26, 2001, 18:22
i love hearing when you guys come here, i only live a few miles from avebury etc, and a lot of people who live round here want to leave, and some have never really explored their own doorstep, so please come back theres loads more!
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index