The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Silbury Hill »
The Silbury Game

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FurryDan
24 posts

The Silbury Game
Jun 18, 2001, 15:50
I was watching TMA, last nite, in order to psyche myself up for an impending visit to Orkney...during the Avebury segment; when walking along the Ridgeway south, Silbury appears to ride along the back Waden hill. Now, would Waden hill always been tree or shrub free? Are there any enviromental archaeologists who would know what was going on on Waden Hill 5000 years ago? If there were trees ( I think there is evidence to show that the area around Avebury was largely uncultivated) the Silbury Game wouldn't have worked. Maybe it was too windy on top of Waden hill, and there was just scrubland. Anyone shed any clues on this potentially Silburygame destroying point?
Danxxxxxxxxxx
Arthur
21 posts

Re: The Silbury Game
Jun 18, 2001, 18:41
I believe there is evidence that trees were cleared for farming in this area of Wiltshire very early on. I'll have to dig through some of my books to find where I read it but it could have been the Avebury Cycle.
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Jun 18, 2001, 19:55
As arthur says, most of the area was already void of vegetation by the time of the neolithics. If there ever was to be a silbury game, then the landscape must have been cleared by - let's not forget - the first farmers, which means, the first forest clearers. The neolithic was a time of change, from an awe-ful time of utter respect to the environment to a time of plenty and settling down.

Another proof is in the RSC's in scotland. Most plantations in many parts there have destroyed vision. I have also observed this in other parts of Britain, France, Portugal, Malta and Spain. Housing developments or indiscriminate plantations with conifers, apart from destroying loads of graves, also do not discriminate and block vision and landscape.
Vox Phantom
104 posts

Jun 20, 2001, 18:32
I'm no expert, but I do also know that it takes a lot of logs to move an enourmous stone from where it is quarried to where it is set up, and that neolithic peoples frequently de-forested huge areas in order to make their projects.

Easter Island is a wonderful case study of a people destroying their entire environment, ecologically, in the name of their art. The island was once covered with trees, and is now practically barren...
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index