The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
In Search Of Ancient Astronomies

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Annexus Quam
926 posts

In Search Of Ancient Astronomies
Jan 20, 2004, 19:01
Some among you may have heard about the Berliner Goldhut, the late Bronze Age golden hat with a lunar and solar calendar built on its sides; I live just round the corner from the place where it is being analyzed until it is back on display again in April. I still sit patiently.

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFde/inhalt/0/0,1872,2010496,00.html

Along with the Nebra disc of the night sky and the Goseck Ur-henge, it forms part of an almost ridiculously unbelievable triad of prehistoric thangs that makes sceptics, atheists, cynics and other breeds shake in fear. So far, research has never proved them fake. But not surprised when the state of education is so low. My German students had never even heard of those, and it has taken me some time to persuade them that these things are for real although their use will be debatable and open to speculation (and although Merlin probably never even existed). If only they stopped debating XXth c history for one minute or two... I am presenting it here, as usual, as it could be of certain value to Comparative Archaeology for those in Insular Research or for lovers of the stars.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Re: In Search Of Ancient Astronomies
Jan 20, 2004, 19:45
That very object/device was on TV a few days ago, I missed the greater part of the programme. In fact all of it. Argh.

A cosmic hat? Or the treasure of the Sierra Madre?
BlueGloves
BlueGloves
858 posts

Jan 21, 2004, 06:25
Here's a link to the hat that doesn't need a german O level - http://www.100megsfree4.com/farshores/amcone.htm . That 'Metonic cycle' underlies all of the monuments and the timescale of it probably corresponded with a human generation.
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Jan 21, 2004, 08:03
The sheer theatre of ancient monuments has always enchanted me - its like people wanted their rituals to have as much drama as possible. Hard to imagine what could possibly be more theatrical than these hats!

Proto-glam-rockers?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jan 21, 2004, 08:22
I can understand the king priests could earn enormous cred from being able to predict astrological or astronomical stuff and to be considered Lords of Time as a consequence, but the idea that they were "held to have supernatural powers because of their ability to predict accurately the correct time for sowing, planting and harvesting crops" seems just plain silly, first because they couldn't, as the seasons only loosely follow astronomy and second because any elderly farmer possesses a lifetime database on such things which is imperfect but as good as any priest could tell him.
The first late frost or wet harvest would blow the Weatherlord's credibility surely?!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jan 21, 2004, 08:28
Yes, the idea of someone wearing that hat AND the golden cape, in flickering firelight is just amazing!
BlueGloves
BlueGloves
858 posts

Jan 21, 2004, 08:28
That sounds as though you haven't seen Planting by the Moon in action !

Strangely here's a stone shaped like the hat - http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/23925
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jan 21, 2004, 08:31
Go on then, tell me how to keep me begonias from getting frostbitten !
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Jan 21, 2004, 09:40
They are obviously the relics of my Kozmik Ken ancestors :}
BlueGloves
BlueGloves
858 posts

Jan 21, 2004, 09:45
It'll be too late now - you could move them to an urban heat island such as Newcastle on Tyne ...

There's an aurora watch in operation in the higher latitudes. A whole wadge of solar particles is due to hit us tomorrow - from a sunspot - that'll be interesting. The New Moon and with it the Chinese New Year - of the Green Monkey - are tonight. That new year isn't considered to really start until Feb 4th, which is the 'start of spring'.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index