Megalithic Top Trumps

38 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Re: Voice of Reason(?)
Nov 13, 2003, 12:10
This difference (3-D spatial awareness) has been observed in experiments. The same experiments also showed that women had better language and multi-tasking skills.

It's interesting to note the difference in abilities between myself and my wife. She is much better at remembering a route and recognising landmarks, but I have a better awareness of which way I need to go if we're in unfamiliar territory. I can usually find my way around a strange town or city (even one way streets) without a map (though it helps to have one) and for some unknown reason I always seem to get lucky with parking spaces.

If we're in the car and one is navigating for the other, we have a big problem because my wife is a primary school teacher and when she teaches children about left and right she has to use the "wrong" hands because she is facing the class. When she indicates left to a child, she has to use her right hand. She will tell me, "turn left here" and when I do, she says "no, sorry, I meant right". If she's driving and I say "turn left", she will turn right. Unfortunately she doesn't get it wrong all the time otherwise I could just transpose what she says. Anyway, it's most confusing and we often end up visiting places we never intended to.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index