church mound

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Earthstepper
Earthstepper
353 posts

church mound
Sep 05, 2003, 18:11
New posting of Farnborough church is intriguing. Another one like Alphamstone and Chesham in Bucks. Sure that there is a whole new area of research here.
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Re: church mound
Sep 05, 2003, 19:31
I'm reminded of a church between Glastonbury and Taunton (possibly Greinton or Burrowbridge?) where the church looms over the road, atop a mini Tor shaped mound.

Not too sure of the relevance to TMA, but it connects with the book I'm currently reading which suggests that all such monds were previously 'druidic colleges'. But the book was written in 1914, so I'm reading it for entertainment value at the moment.
Earthstepper
Earthstepper
353 posts

Sep 05, 2003, 20:40
When the early church was trying to convert the Saxons, an edict went out that all idols and stones were to be destroyed but that temples were to be converted into churches. So some early Saxon churches were built on pagan sites. Norman churches then replaced many. Thing is - what exactly were the pagan sites? Mounds, barrows, Roman pagan temples? Germanic tribes worshipped in forest groves rather than built temples according to Agricola and Caesar. Whole lot of archaeology under churches that we just can't get at. Would TMA consider finding and mapping churches on ancient mounds?
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Sep 06, 2003, 12:01
"Germanic tribes worshipped in forest groves rather than built temples according to Agricola and Caesar."

If you read Claudius they also had underground temples - two of the German Legion Eagles were recovered from such a site.

"Whole lot of archaeology under churches that we just can't get at. Would TMA consider finding and mapping churches on ancient mounds?"

There are already a few on TMA. I think you'd have to have a very good provenance to pass the scrutiny of some folks on here.
baza
baza
1308 posts

Sep 06, 2003, 17:55
I don`t think that St. Peter's Church, Farnborough, should be on TMA.

It`s a church!

Okay, it`s on a mound. So what?

The only type of prehistoric, circular mound that I know of, in England, which can sometimes be found on the top of a hill, are round barrows.

How big is the base of the mound? It looks too big to be the remains of a round barrow, to my eyes.

Then there are the sarsen stones, apparently in the church, around the church and nearby to the church. That just says to me that there`s a lot of sarsen stones in the area which have not been utilised by prehistoric man or anyone since.

There doesn`t seem to be any evidence that it`s a prehistoric site. However, it *is* a church.

The Devil`s Hoofprint shouldn`t be on here, either. This is a site dedicated to prehistoric remains. Does anyone claim that the Devil`s Hoofprint is of prehistoric origin?

I don`t see any problem with discussing these unusual phenomena in the forum, but the site listings should remain true to the ethos of TMA.

Just my opinion. :o)

baz
Earthstepper
Earthstepper
353 posts

Sep 06, 2003, 18:45
OK - fair point and I didn't post Farnborough anyway, but it does interest me as I would like to know more about just what such mounds are. I will delete the Devil's wotnot if that is a majority view. As a newbie, I am still learning about what the consensus of opinion is on TMA coverage. If it is pre-Roman - why do you have Sutton Hoo and turf mazes which are surely medieval? The only likely pre-Roman white horse is Uffington yet you have pics of the scouring of Cherhill etc. Your logo is the Cerne Abbas Giant isn't it? That is probably quite late with the earliest interpretation being a Roman depiction of Hercules with his club and lion skin cloak. Ditto Long Man of Wilmington who has been seen as a Roman surveyor. Not trying to be controversial but am just confused. Don't you like oddities and unknowns?
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Sep 06, 2003, 19:04
There is a small 'grey area' where people can post 'cool' places to see. To survive the editors though they need to be near to genuine sites and have massive 'would you look at that!' factor.

The Devil's Pussy kinda hits the mark on this one (I think).

I have a feeling that 'come the revolution' that shall forever be known as 'the Big Cull of 2003' a lot of them will go.
baza
baza
1308 posts

Sep 06, 2003, 19:09
This type of discussion comes up quite often on TMA.

As I said, I`ve just given my personal opinion.

:o)

There are the purists on this site and there are those with a more eclectic point of view.

In the end, it all boils down to the view of the webmaster.

Here`s the site guidelines:

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site_guide.php#submission_guidelines

baz
olly
102 posts

Sep 08, 2003, 19:06
hellingly church is also built on an ancient circular mound.
Earthstepper
Earthstepper
353 posts

Sep 08, 2003, 20:27
Thanks, Olly.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index