The Village Pump »
Twenty-20

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Twenty-20
Mar 17, 2020, 13:09
Well... Where to start? I hope we're all in fine fettle, at the moment.

Hopefully, Julian's ailments are on the mend now. Goodness knows he's plenty of time to recover, anyway. No venue will be putting his rescheduled gigs on anytime soon. In fact, no gigs are happening anywhere. So all those folk who rely on this for a living are... well, screwed. Of course, it's a grey and vague area to have as a source of income. I've many friends and acquaintances who live very hand-to-mouth as crew member in the live music and entertainment 'industry'. Sound engineers, stage hands lighting techs etc. It's mainly a self employed, gig economy, zero-hours arrangement. They all have rents or even mortgages to maintain. I'm really feeling for them. Pension funds are dissolving, if you're lucky to have had one, in the first place.

So, 2020 - the terrible weather events are pretty much a distant memory, already! This would've been a year we'd have looked back on as the the years of the storms, but the coronavirus has superseded that a hundredfold.

Personally, I was kinda entering a new 'semi-retirement' phase; working in dribs and drabs in the garden shed we had built a few years ago. This was where Lady Calamity and I started a little business that now operates from bigger premises in town. I was getting a lower wage, but some pension contributions etc. The shed's nice to have though. In here I've my pooter, an easel and my drums. Self isolation is kinda what I was already doing unwittingly.

Getting out every once in a while to rehearse, jam and generally connect with my musical cohorts was a lovely thing to look forward to - as was the weekly life drawing sessions I attended. Still, in here I'm mixing new tracks that were already started during the regular jam sessions we'd hooked up for up til last month - and I've a new canvas on the go too, so I can lose myself in these pursuits for a while.

How are you lot coping and dealing with things? Are you managing to divert yourselves from the dawning realisation that the shops are running out of food and all that?
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Re: Twenty-20
Mar 17, 2020, 20:33
Apart from my endless and fruitless search for toilet roll, red kidney beans and hoping for a pending house move, which I don't know is going to happen anytime soon because of the virus, still stuck in work even though I'm classed as at high risk because of my asthma I've been doing some writing and other things to keep my brain entertained again.

In case I hadn't repeatedly bored you with it on fb I started a magazine last year and just putting the finishing touches to Issue 4, so I'm pretty chuffed I've made it this far, also working on a few books (really should try just focusing on one at a time but my brain doesn't work that way) so plenty to keep me pottering about in case of lockdown. I've really missed writing recently so it's been really nice flexing those brain muscles again.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Mar 18, 2020, 14:46
Captain Starlet wrote:
I started a magazine last year and just putting the finishing touches to Issue 4, so I'm pretty chuffed I've made it this far, also working on a few books (really should try just focusing on one at a time but my brain doesn't work that way) so plenty to keep me pottering about in case of lockdown. I've really missed writing recently so it's been really nice flexing those brain muscles again.

So, where can folk find said magazine?
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Mar 20, 2020, 12:16
They can have a look here www.thepilgrim.org.uk I've started doing music reviews on there now, although willing to admit I'm still a bit crap at those. They're harder than you'd think!
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Edited Mar 20, 2020, 17:23
Mar 20, 2020, 13:55
Doing fine so far. I'm classed as a keyworker, so no self-isolation movie marathons for me, unless/until symptoms materialise.

Still carrying on as normal (I generally don't have all that much physical social contact outside of work anyhow), working on a new tune, still reading and watching films in between being at work.

Believe it or not, some holiday companies are advertising, encouraging people to self-isolate at holiday lets in Cornwall. Which really isn't going to help matters.
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

Mar 21, 2020, 09:49
Overall I am fine. Worried about lots - but I am a worrier by nature I think. I'm not finding social media terribly helpful at the moment so I'm limiting myself from that. Work is going to get interesting; as a backroom NHSer we're being given metaphorical red shirts and drafted into frontline services in the next few weeks... It could be a good long while before I'm doing the thing I'm good at and comfortable with, but I have an income, I can hopefully help smaller local things stay around, and I'm being useful where it's needed and I'm damned proud to chip in.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Mar 22, 2020, 13:30
Be very careful.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Mar 22, 2020, 13:31
Isolation Diary: Day... erm, I don’t know
Yesterday, I went for a yomp, for about three hours, pretty much retracing the epic New Year’s Day hike. However, I was finding myself veering quite early on and somehow found myself hunting for lost balls near Church Stretton golf course.

I found three in the end - and threw them onto one of the greens, mainly trying to see if I could get one into the hole, but also as a bit of a prank, to confuse any golfers who’re arriving to find the ball they’d just whacked over there.

I am officially hilarious
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

Mar 22, 2020, 21:18
I will be, although i suspect I'm going to be lifting and carrying. Anything to make things easier for the actual medics.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2609 posts

Mar 22, 2020, 21:26
Like many here I'm concerned about where we're all going to end up when (and if) this shit ever ends. Sunak's promises may offer limited consolation to the millions whose livelihoods will be affected by the viral shutdown, but I'm as worried about the economic consequences as I am by the virus itself.

For my own part I'm fortunate to have no work worries having retired after my stroke last year, but being in a risky health group presents its own stresses. As things stand I'm as healthy as I can reasonably expect to be, and self-isolating (a daily walk notwithstanding), spending loads of time reading and listening to music of all kinds. Missing the pubs and coffee shops, but who isn't.

I just hope I don't go mad!
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Village Pump Index