U-Know! Forum »
More Bono bashing (never enough IMO)

135 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 12, 2010, 17:06
Re: More Bono bashing (never enough IMO)
Oct 12, 2010, 16:40
Loopy Lumbago wrote:
Quote: "The way I look at it is that rock n roll is like football. The fact that it is all about money doesn't stop it being an art..."

A question springs to mind here; is it an art because of the money or in spite of the money?

But since I don't see art, rock n roll or other, first and foremost as competitive sport I probably, as you wrote; don't know rock n roll and am therefore at the outset excluded from any serious discussion on the topic.

The point I am trying to make (if unsuccessfully and inadvertently rudely) is that the best art happens sometimes in spite of the commerce and sometimes because of the commerce but the commerce is always part of it. I don't think it is unfair to say that musicians can often be hugely competetive people as are artists from all kinds of disciplines. Some are inspired by finanical gain and kudos and some aren't but the prospect of gain and commerce are part of the picture regardless. You can't really separate the making of the music from the selling of it and the minute a band becomes a business the rules and dynamics of capitalism are part of the picture. Add monster sized egos and it is not hard to see how those who scramble hardest up the shifting sand dunes of fame are more likely to be successful in terms of sales and status than those who potter about (happily or otherwise) on the lower slopes.

Any number of rock n roll biographies tell the same story. Very few set out to be influential yet broke and obscure. It often happens to the best but they didn't set out with that end in mind. And plenty of songs have been written about that very subject.

Bands fiercely compete (internally and with each other) for artistic credit, for prominence, for money. That's what they do. If they didn't have that gene they would never get out of the garage for the most part. Doesn't mean the music is any more or less likely to be crap but I have never met an artist that willed obscurity upon themselves though plenty have obscurity thrust upon them.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index