brian eno

24 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Re: brian eno
Jan 27, 2003, 14:22
Brian Eno - yes, one of Britain's great originals, and not a bad producer either. For me, his definitive albums are the first in each of his two chosen genres: 'Here Come The Warm Jets' as a representation of his weird 'pop' (I use the term very loosely) style, and 'Discreet Music' (side one only) as an example of his ambient material at its simplest and best. Everything he's done since has basically rehashed the ideas on those two epochal releases.

Of the collaborations, 'No Pussyfooting' and 'Evening Star' with Robert Fripp stand out. I've never been able to get excited about his work with Bowie however.

I wouldn't be without the 'Seven Deadly Sins' 45 either - check out Seth's great review in 'Unsung' for further info.

I don't mean to imply that Eno's done nothing worthwhile since 1975 - it's just that, for me, he's just retrod old ground since then. There are still loads of good things in his subsequent output, but lots of extremely boring stuff as well. Avoid 'Tuesday Afternoon' with your life.

DW

Unsung Forum Index