Joy Of A Toy with added Syd!

13 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Oh, Joy...!
Jan 17, 2003, 06:56
Fitter,
I love Syd Barrett, so ta for the heads up...I've been waiting for FAR too long for this...(see below):

"Religious Experience"
Posted 18.01.02ce 18:53:11

...was it's working title
But you know: there are 3 versions I've heard besides the "Odd Dittites" one, and I can't hear Syd in ANY of them. I think on at least one of those boots, they just remixed the track to masquerade it as an "alternate take"The Emi-Disc acetate is probably the only place where Barrett does apparently show up (either on backing vox or guitar, I don't really recall).There are so many unconfirmed Barrett appearances and reports...like on 2 tracks on Ayers' "Joy of A Toy", which are just speculation tinged with a hint of wishful thinkingSome bootlegs in the past have been so unreliable and misleading in the past as to Barrett-related material, due to the absolute dearth of it (pre-box set, that is).

That Ayers Collaboration in full
Posted 26.01.02ce 03:06:38

"In (1969)...it is widely believed that Syd collaborated with Kevin Ayers on a song called "Religious Experience" and there exists a 10" EMIDISC acetate which allegedly includes Barrett on guitar and vocals.However, when the song finally appeared officially as a single, retitled "Singing A Song In The Morning", his contribution was effectively mixed out. The song later appeared on Kevin's "Odd Ditties" compilation. It is also rumoured that the voice at the start of "Oleh Oleh Bandung" on Ayers' "Joy Of A Toy" album is Syd's but this is unconfirmed.Kevin Ayers' "Bananamour" LP included "O Wot A Dream", a tribute to Syd, and original copies came with a booklet including a Barrett photo."-Record Collector (circa 1988) "Pink Floyd And Syd Barrett" by Mark Paytress.So there you are...I still haven't been convinced by either of the 2 versions I've heard on bootlegs. Many of them ("Magnesium Proverbs" and "Unforgotten Hero" the rarest of exceptions) are filled with fakes -- "Tattooed" is certainly one of them.

PS: I love Syd Barrett's music. Honest.

Unsung Forum Index