The BBC Radiphonic Workshop

13 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: The BBC Radiphonic Workshop
Jan 15, 2003, 13:45
I got the CD you're talking about and it is a fun bit of primitive electronica. The Delia Derbyshire tracks do stand out as the best to my ears. They work as music on their own rather than having the stamp if 'incidental' or 'theme tune' all over them. I particularly liked the track that tootles along then right at the end the last couple of notes suddenly you realise that those tow seconds worth were used for John Craven's Newsround. I got quite a weird feeling from that one! I don't know what the other CD you mentioned is like though.

Talking of primitive electronica have you heard the recently issued CD of early Human League tracks (it's called The Golden Hour of the Future)? It's all pre-Reproduction stuff, so has that doomy sci-fi air to it, but there's something endearingly demo-ish about it all. Cluster's creepier stuff came to mind. An Phil Oakey's spoken introduction to the first track is absolutely classic...

"This is a song for all you big-heads out there who think disco music is lower than the irrelevant musical gibberish and tired platitudes that you try to impress your parents with. We're The Human League, we're much cleverer than you and this is called 'Dance Like A Star'."

Unsung Forum Index