Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 8 July 2023 CE

15 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 8 July 2023 CE
Jul 09, 2023, 14:04
Fitter Stoke wrote:

Genesis ‘And Then There Were Three’ - at risk of shedding any musical cred I have around here, I’m tempted to pen a full Unsung review about this record. Yeah, it sold shitloads, but it was also the last time that the post Gabriel and Hackett line up made a proper rock album, and a truly fine one at that. There’s a genuinely emotive quality to most of these tracks that they never achieved again…

I have a soft spot for this album as it was one of the first of theirs I bought, although I think it is let down by rather thin sound, especially the drums on what should have been a barnstorming opening track. But Burning Rope is definitely one of the best things they did as a three piece (I see your closing quotation came from it) and would be very interested to see an Unsung review. For me the real classic from this era would have been Abacab if they hadn't changed their minds about releasing it as a double. It's their best sounding album of the 80s but makes more sense structurally with all the offcuts put back in, especially the Dodo suite that would have filled a whole side.

Unsung Forum Index