7 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Edited Jun 07, 2023, 20:18
Re: Tony McPhee
Jun 07, 2023, 20:06
In the 80's, when I spent my weekends hunting for gems in the Selectadisc secondhand department, these were my significant find. Split first, Hogwash quickly followed. These were the years of sharing your vinyl with friends - everyone was ignorant of them (how quickly bands could be semi forgotten before the internet) and all were blown away. For some reason it took me years to get hold of Thank Christ For The Bomb, perhaps the reason why Hogwash is still my favourite. I swear it's unique blues prog.
I first saw them live in the late 80s at the Mardi Gras club in Nottingham, a tiny club in a converted car park that for a while attracted bands like Pendragon, The Godfathers, Solstice etc. The Groundhogs were a different league - Tony even performing a nonchalant string change at speed and mid song.
I'm pleased I found them,pleased I saw them when they had real aggression in their sound, and pleased that the world woke up to their brilliance again. 3 or 4 brilliant albums - there are more famous musicians that managed far less.

Here's (hopefully) The Fall with a faithful Strange Town!
https://youtu.be/RPMVUhyrH9Q

Unsung Forum Index