Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 14 January 2023 CE

7 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 14 January 2023 CE
Jan 15, 2023, 22:17
Revolver – The Beatles
Someone here - Fitter I think? - was saying he didn't like the new Giles Martin mix. Personally I like it, but I add the disclaimer that my ears – when it comes to hi-fi etc – aren't the greatest and usually something has to be REALLY brilliant (the re-mastered Marquee Moon cd) or REALLY terrible (my murky vinyl copy of New Gold Dreams or my cd version of School's Out which is plain weird) for me to have much of an opinion on it! Nonetheless, this new mix sounds very 'alive' to my battered ears.

Novelty Waves (CDS)- Biosphere
Angel's Flight – Biosphere
Shortwave Memories - Biosphere
For the uninitiated, Biosphere is a Norwegian guy who has been making records for thirty odd years. With the odd exception (Novelty Waves from 1995), my limited Biosphere collection is from the past 7-8 years. Whether it electronica with beats or a more ambient feel, Geir Jenssen has made some of my favourite records of the past few years.

Duke Of York - Hox
Traditionally I was always more in the Colin Newman camp when it came to solo Wire releases, but the two Hox albums (this from 2015 and It-Ness all the way back in 1999) are two of my favourite Wire associated records – and I include Wire themselves in that statement.

American Love Call – Durand Jones & the Indications
Durand Jones & the Indications last album – Private Space from 2021 – has been one of my most played albums in recent times, so I thought would get their predecessor from a couple of years earlier. On first listen, it sounds like another really enjoyable firmly retro soul set.

Also...
Soon – Avery Plains
Mr Biggs (Dutch copy called Side Show) – Barry Biggs
Mix-Up – Cabaret Voltiare
Eldorado - ELO
Artificial Sweeteners - Fujiya & Miyagi
Destroys The Virus With Dub - King Jammy
Shrink – The Notwist
Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! - Rolling Stones
The Lost Midnight Rock Dubs, Chapter 2 – King Tubby
On The Detroit Beat: Motor City Soul UK Style 1963-67 – V/A

Unsung Forum Index