Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 20 October 2018 CE

19 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 20 October 2018 CE
Oct 22, 2018, 21:59
Stevo wrote:
I thought the How To Buy thing was a feature of Mojo.

YThere is some attention being payed to Stereolab in a few places this month since their odds and ends compis have been compiled together as a box set which came out a couple of weeks back.

The odds and ends comps are definitely the most essential Stereolab albums. Always thought their best cuts were the singles and EP tracks. I had a feeling 'Emperor Tomato Ketchup' would make no.1 in Mojo's How To Buy list (can't believe they only just got round to doing The Beach Boys last month, and were able to cheat a bit by counting 'two-fers' as a single release), but for me it was the real turning point where the 'Lab started to move away from what made them one of my favourite bands in the first place. From then on I still admired the increasing skill and sophistication that went into their music, while finding a whole album too much of that sort of thing. 'Dots & Loops' and 'Cobra & Phases...' are both super accomplished, but I find my brain switching off after the first few tracks. The earlier simpler stuff is what made them really exciting, with the enjoyably anarchic 'Transient Random Noise Bursts...' being my favourite of their non-comp long players.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index