Unsung Forum »
Is this Copes most honest interview...?...oh and Fido's Blues Links

23 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mantid
100 posts

Re: Is this Copes most honest interview...?...oh and Fido's Blues Links
Oct 02, 2018, 16:46
Thank you for posting these links - I'd seen the first set long ago but had always wanted to see the Black Sheep DVD.

I'm also a bit bummed that it didn't include audio of the performances, I really love the footage from the teaser video, which I watch fairly often - can't think of any other "ad" where this is the case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlY4v0zM6ug

I was hoping the DVD would be more of that. The acoustic versions hinted at in that video are fantastic.

Personally, and I realize this is not worth anything to anyone else, I might say the Black Sheep era is my favorite. Maybe it is preaching to the choir, but some of the points made are very much in tune with my world view:

"...the West must end, because we burn the candles at both ends"

"...your verse may lie if your chorus is pretty"

And "Feed My Rock n Roll" sounds almost campy at first but over the years has gelled for me into one of the most lucid invitations towards personal freedom I have encountered. Almost insidiously powerful (and threatening to The System) if you let the messages land:

"countercultural heroes who've been weighing down my shelves"

"Kundalini starts to undulate and irrigate my spine..."

"you don't need Jesus don't need Moses nor Mohammad for the role, all you really need is you to play that heathen Rock n Roll"

It almost feels eerily like this whole effort was micro-targeted at me. Meanwhile, I've put a great deal of effort into exploring the historic and cultural references which were new to me, and learned quite a bit. Mind-expanding, literally.

So, maybe it is "BS", maybe it is a thin veneer of political diatribe without concrete guidance or plan, but who cares? It lights a real fire in my soul and has definitely served to ratchet me up a level or two on the forward-thinking spectrum.

Speaking of "spectrum", the idea that Cope is possibly a member of the Asperger's club is interesting - and I think (while that psychological model is possibly dubious, let's entertain it) that most people I am myself interested in sharing thoughts with are, as well. I probably am. I am so glad he has the obsession with the ancient monuments - it has opened my eyes to the richly spectacular nature of our history and pre-history, and renewed my own latent interests in archaeology and history. My own obsession with tracing music-which-reaches-me back to shamanic roots (conveniently serving as a shortcut to my own inner core) has been quite lubricated by Cope's studies, and his generosity in sharing all of this will forever have him as a core member of my personal pantheon of inspirations.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index