Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9047 posts

Edited Mar 26, 2017, 21:06
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 March 2017 CE
Mar 26, 2017, 21:04
Ooh, glad you approve, Moon Cat!

Just to clarify, Peyote Guru are a band of varying lineup, who play around a core trio. I'm just a guest drummer, every now and then, really. Back in Autumn 2015 I joined them for a full weekend in Dave Anderson's Foel Studio in the Welsh wilds for all manner of musical adventures. I wasn't their first choice. That said, I have since returned to their drum stool for a few small festival appearances. And, I mixed and fixed the rough mixes you have there.

I might also add that this isn't the only soundtrack I play on in this week's list.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Mar 26, 2017, 21:24
Ulver – The Assassination Of Julius Caesar. I really must stop listening to Ulver albums, as it’s such a frustrating experience. Whether it’s industrial metal, 70s prog, psychedelic improv, or in the case of their latest, 80s-flavoured electro-rock, they always promise to deliver something compelling, but always seem to fall short. The hand of Grumbling Fur’s Daniel O’Sullivan is stronger than ever here, but he did this kind of thing much better himself on the second Mothlight album. There’s nothing here that’s completely awful, but it’s often just a bit… naff.

Jane Weaver – Modern Kosmology. This on the other hand is absolutely super. The Broadcast-channelling title track is on the new Mojo freebie CD if you fancy a preview.

Cakewalk – Ishihara

Blown Out – Superior Venus

Trimdon Grange Explosion – s/t. All these three are great too.

22-20s – s/t. Continuing last week’s theme of “bands from the Nottingham area that were really good, but everybody’s forgotten them”, here’s the debut album from angry blues rocking young men 22-20s (who actually came from Sleaford, unlike Sleaford Mods), and it’s a raging slab of faintly misogynistic angst that still sounds utterly vital today. Saw them at a packed Astoria in the early 00s, but I think the main guy fell out with the rest of the band, and that was them effectively kiboshed… (actually, they reformed a few years later, but by then, attention had moved elsewhere) But blimey, you can’t argue with tracks like these, hell of a sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwTexpqTIFs / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eaKENd9mRw

Hawkwind – Palace Springs. The best of the three albums in the GWR boxset, despite being one of those half studio, half live affairs of which Hawkwind have far too many to their name. The studio tracks pull off the trick of credibly updating the classic HW sound, while there’s some decent reinterpretations of older tracks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0PBw1Avngg

Kingdom Come – Galactic Zoo Dossier / Journey. Arthur Brown’s band after The Crazy World Of… Haven’t heard GZD since I was a callow teen – was a bit flummoxed by it then, but this time round, can appreciate there’s quite a bit of decent heavy prog here, albeit Arthur’s operatic blues vocal can be an acquired taste. Hadn’t heard Journey before, which is clearly a bit of an oversight, as it’s genuinely innovative in places, not least because it’s apparently the first album where the entire rhythm track was played by drum machine. Hawkwind were also clearly listening… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdZiSl4ti_o

Listen With Father:

Siouxsie & The Banshees – Once Upon A Time. It’s only a matter of time before one of them starts wearing kohl eyeliner…

F is for…

50 Foot Wave – s/t EP. So, this was when Kristin Hersh revealed that there’s always been a NWOBHM/hardcore side to her music. Had forgotten quite how hard this rocks, terrific stuff. I saw the first British 50 Foot Wave show at The Garage in Highbury, and remember the look of horror on the faces of various Throwing Muses-loving audience members as Kristin “tore the roof off the sucker”, as I believe they say. Cop this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xQhGpzHiLc
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Mar 26, 2017, 21:34
Elbow 'The Seldom Seen Kid'
Bob Dylan 'Blonde On Blonde' in mono
Traffic 'Shoot Out at the Fantasy Factory'
Julian Cope 'Autogeddon' & 'Droolian'
Mike Harrison 'Smokestack Lightning'
Robert Plant 'Pictures At Eleven' & 'The Principle Of Moments'
Jethro Tull 'The String Quartets'
The Fall 'Dragnet'
Gong 'Continental Circus' OST
Various 'Funny Old Shit' (Trunk Records sampler)
Jesus & Mary Chain: Barrowlands Friday night set
John Stevens' Away 'Mazin Innit'
David Sylvian 'Gone To Earth'
Maynard Ferguson 'Primal Scream'
Circle 'Paris Concert'
Bobo Stenson/Lennart Aberg s/t
Keith Jarrett & Jan Garbarek 'Luminessence'
Beethoven: String Quartet no.8 (Quartetto Italiano)
Dvo?ák: Symphony no.8 (VPO/Karajan)
Dvo?ák: Symphony no.8 (BPO/Kubelik)
Mozart: Clarinet Concerto (Marcellus/Cleveland/Szell)
keith a
9573 posts

Mar 26, 2017, 21:56
The Image Has Cracked – Alternative TV

Abbey Road – The Beatles

Ballad Of The Broken Seas – Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan

Push The Sky Away - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

Taking Tiger Mountain – Eno

The Starless Room – James Johnston

Closer – Joy Division

Sixes & Ones – Low

Axis – Mugstar
Magnetic Seasons - Mugstar

Sterntaler – Michael Rother

Burning The Threshold – Six Organs Of Admittance

Inflammable Material – Stiff Little Fingers

Intervision – Jimi Tenor

Restless Idylls – Tropic Of Cancer

The Who Sell Out – The Who

Gasoline Man 12” - Young Gods

Odyssey & Oracle – The Zombies

NME presents 2001 The Album Of The Year – V/A
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 27, 2017, 11:27
Mar 27, 2017, 07:25
Fatalist wrote:
Ulver – The Assassination Of Julius Caesar. I really must stop listening to Ulver albums, as it’s such a frustrating experience. Whether it’s industrial metal, 70s prog, psychedelic improv, or in the case of their latest, 80s-flavoured electro-rock, they always promise to deliver something compelling, but always seem to fall short.

I agree. They had a good run around 2002 and 2003 ish when they were operating (very) broadly in Boards of Canada territory but coming from a more rock starting point. Three albums, a soundtrack and an ep's worth of very solid stuff. I listened to them a lot in the mid 00s and those records still stand up I think even though some of the sounds they were exploring then sound like cliches 15 years later because so many other artists have been there since.

I kept buying the albums out of habit up to the SUNN O))) collaboration but from Blood Inside on the more I hear the less interested I am in the output. It's the singing that is the problem I reckon. Their version of Thieves In The Temple was good though.
Kid Calamity
9047 posts

Mar 27, 2017, 08:35
machineryelf wrote:

v/a – Magnetic North

Vinyl or streamed?
machineryelf
3681 posts

Mar 27, 2017, 08:41
Vinyl, a lurid orange, I'll not be having any of that speckled nonsense going on. Listening to the Vert:x track on this & Strangefish , they're rather good
https://vertx1.bandcamp.com/
Kid Calamity
9047 posts

Mar 27, 2017, 09:30
I played drums on the vert:x track and mixed it.

I'm eager to find out whether my new turntable is repairable, in order to hear this properly 'full on'. My copies some in plain orange and one in splatter pattern still remain unplayed.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Mar 27, 2017, 09:45
Kid Calamity wrote:
I played drums on the vert:x track and mixed it.

I'm eager to find out whether my new turntable is repairable, in order to hear this properly 'full on'. My copies some in plain orange and one in splatter pattern still remain unplayed.

nice one, good luck with the turntable. I was listening to the Vert:x tracks because Fred from Earthling Society was bigging them up on facebook, the LP is well worth a listen full on , the Dead Sea Apes track is another great tune on there
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 27, 2017, 11:34
Mar 27, 2017, 11:24
Wagner Transformed - J. Peter Schwalm, Brian Eno, Eiving Aarset, Christine Schütze

In the spirit of trying to stick to talking about things that are off the beaten track this is kind of interesting and passed me by totally on release four years ago despite Eno's co-credit.

It's much more than a straight up ambient record and more satisfying than any Max Richter re-boot of a well-loved / over recorded piece from the classical standard repertoire. The piano playing is really beautifully done. I suspect that Eno's role (credited on the cover but only for one track as a performer in the notes) is more inspirational / curatorial than concrete. The electronic treatments have a point to them and are not intrusive to the point of being headache inducing. I've owned a copy for a couple of weeks and when I play it I make a mental note to play it again soon. It's not Wagner but given that there are fragments of melody, primarily from Parsifal and Siegfried, that appear and disappear it's not not Wagner either. What it doesn't have is the tidal orchestral sweep that can knock the unsuspecting off their feet. It certainly does have that thing of giving the impression of stopping time but still having a musical pulse. The best bits are gorgeous. Puts me in mind of "Catch-Wave", "August 1974" and some of Robert Fripp's more cavernous and cathedral-like pieces but don't hold me to any of that. One listener's "No Pussyfooting" is another's root canal treatment.

EDIT - scandalously the cd wasn't easy to track down but it is on Bandcamp as a download

https://jpeterschwalm.bandcamp.com/
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index