Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 30 January 2016 CE

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 30 January 2016 CE
Jan 31, 2016, 17:17
Yes, I have always been very modest about my greatness.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Jan 31, 2016, 17:18
Main replay this week:

Factory Floor - S/T
I've had this on most evenings, but although there's plenty to admire it never really grabbed me. Lacking some humanity for me.

The Fall - The Remainderer EP
Quite like most of this, but if it wasn't The Fall would I make the effort? Probably not.

Otherwise:

V/A - Pre-Fabs (Uncut compilation of Beatles influences from years ago)

The Cure - Seventeen Seconds
The Human League - Holiday 80 EP
New Order - Movement
The Chameleons - Script Of The Bridge
David Bowie - Let's Dance
New Order - Power, Corruption & Lies
Depeche Mode - Singles 81>85
The Wonderstuff - 8 Legged Groove Machine

The Charlatans - "Indian Rope" CD single
Manic Street Preachers - Lipstick Traces

PiL - "Reggie Song" CD single
David Bowie - Blackstar
Nils Frahm - Screws/Screws Reworked
Emma Pollock - In Search Of Harperfield
Urthona - Plays Atlantis? (the second track is terrific on first listen)
keith a
9574 posts

Edited Feb 02, 2016, 22:37
Jan 31, 2016, 17:58
The Beatles For Sale - The Beatles
Yellow Submarine - The Beatles
Magical Mystery Tour - The Beatles

Beneath Discordant Skies - Blurt

Young Americans - David Bowie
Never Let Me Down - David Bowie
The Next Day - David Bowie
Blackstar - David Bowie

A Ruffer Version (At King Tubbys 1974-1978) - Johnny Clarke

458489- The Fall

Pylon - Killing Joke

The Private Press - DJ Shadow

As Was - (EP) - Manfred Mann

Music Complete - New Order

S/T - Rocket From The Tombs

Touch Me (CDS) - Rui Da Silva

Black & White - The Stranglers

(Nothing But) Flowers (CDS) - Talking Heads

Tanx - T.Rex
Dandy In The Underworld - T.Rex

Before The Fall - V/A

Motown Chartbusters Vol 1- V/A
Motown Chartbusters Vol 3 - V/A
Motown Chartbusters Vol 6 - V/A

S/T - Brian Wilson
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Jan 31, 2016, 19:42
keith a wrote:

The Private Press - DJ Shadow

Not as astonishing as Endtroducing - how could it be? - but it's still great album.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Jan 31, 2016, 20:01
IanB wrote:
Fatalist wrote:
IanB wrote:

Dream Theater - The Astonishing
This goes to reassert everything that has nagged at me about US Prog bands since I first heard Kansas. The singers nearly always sound like they have been recruited from a particularly anodyne branch of musical theatre. The sing like they are inhabiting a role not living it. RJ Dio is probably the only singer from America who makes Prog subject matter sound in any way convincing and he wouldn't have been seen dead around such a lightweight musical palette. Whatever you say about the Andersons, Hammill, Lake, Gabriel et al in their pomp - they sang like they meant it, man (even if they now say they didn't really).

Ha, prog is only real prog if it's sung with an English accent, discuss ;-)

That would rule out of all Europe and the French Canadian scenes before we get started. And Geddy is a totally credible singer however daft those Rush lyrics get.

Not about accent I don't think. More about the divide between imagining oneself into something potentially risible but going with it regardless and playing dress-up. I think it might have something to with people who came up through playing covers in bar bands finding the whole thing a bit fey.

Sorry, I was being facetious. On saying that, I think in the popular imagination (and certainly whenever it gets referenced/given a brief overview in the mainstream media), there's something quintessentially British about progressive rock, certainly in its initial phase - not just the classical and literary allusions (done just as well by some of the European groups), but that combination of questing, colonial spirit with a certain uptight prissiness (though that obviously doesn't apply to everybody). The cultural loam of the US at the time just didn't seem able to grow the same seeds.
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Jan 31, 2016, 20:07
Beck - Sea Change / Odelay (DE)

Blur - 13 / Think Tank / The Magic Whip

David Bowie - Station To Station / Low / "Heroes" / Scary Monsters / Lodger / The Buddha of Surburbia / 1. Outside / All Saints / Blackstar

Coil - Windowpane E.P / Snow E.P / Musick To Play In The Dark 2 / Ape of Naples

Alice Coltrane - Journey In Satchidananda / Illuminations (with Carlos Santana) / Radha-Krsna Nama Sankirtana

John Coltrane - Blue Trane (mono) / Coltrane's Sound

Comus - Song To Comus

Julian Cope - Jehovahkill

Current 93 - Swastikas For Noddy / Earth Covers Earth

Josephine Foster - Little Life / Hazel Eyes, I Will Lead You / A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing

Mark Fry - Dreaming With Alice

Herbie Hancock - Mwandishi / Crossings / Sextant / Head Hunter

Harmonia - Musik Von Harmonia / Deluxe

Nirvana - Nevermind (DE)

Michele O'Malley - Saturn Rings

Psychic TV - Thee Festival Ov Flowering Light

Pharoah Sanders - Pharoah's First / Deaf Dumb Blind (Summun Bukmun Umyun) / Black Unity

Siousxie & The Banshees - Spellbound

Stereolab - The First Of The Microbe Hunters

Julie Tippetts - Sunset Glow

Gillian Welch - Hell Amoung The Yearlings / Revival

Wire - 154

Wolf People - Steeple / Fain

XTC - Skylarking
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Jan 31, 2016, 21:49
New:

Chris Forsyth & The Solar Motel Band – The Rarity Of Experience. I raved about his last album (Intensity Ghost), but this one might be even better – mostly instrumental widescreen American guitar rock, in the same (slightly skewed) lineage as Crazy Horse, Television and Sonic Youth: https://chrisforsyth1.bandcamp.com/album/the-rarity-of-experience

Motorpsycho – Here Be Monsters. They just keep coming. This one sounds like Floyd if they’d got religion post-WYWH.

Damien Jurado – Visions Of Us On The Land. Really warming to this, a consistently great song cycle of cosmic Americana and proggy folk rock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhL6jN00FBo (love how this slowly turns into ‘Like A Hurricane’)

Mamiffer – The World Unseen. Nice lead track from droney/doomy/dreamy types: https://soundcloud.com/sige-1/04-mara but the album went over my head a bit

Rangda – The Heretic’s Bargain. This is rockin’, Dick Dale meets John Fahey: https://soundcloud.com/drag-city/rangda-to-melt-the-moon

Crumbling Ghost – Five Songs. I was slightly underwhelmed by this on first listen, but I’m amazed by how quickly it’s since got its melodic hooks into me. I particularly like their own, non-folk derived track and its less declamatory vocal: https://witheredhandrecords.bandcamp.com/track/lose-and-get-something-good

Immersion – Analogue Creatures EP

Less new:

Boogarins – Manual. Missed this last year, essentially the Brazilian Tame Impala/Dungen. Not earth-shattering, but a very nice listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQxN7hqcCic

ESB – s/t. Ooh, feel a bit bad dismissing this after one listen, it sounded really good this week! Analogue electronic excursions from Yann Tiersen and friends: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR_cjblisIM

Breathless – Blue Moon. OK, I am now properly loving this, the great missing link in the post-Talk Talk tapestry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDPixO3eAwE

TaiTaiTo & Cavern Of Anti-Matter – Ghost Box ‘Other Voices’ 6 & 7 singles

Hawkwind – Doremi Fasol Latido / The Text Of Festival. Voyaging onward. Doremi really does sound like they’ve been up on some mad binge for 72 hours prior to recording. Is it just me or is the bass completely out of time at the start of ‘Lord Of Light’? Lemmy refers to a mistake in ‘Brainstorm’ that they left in, but perhaps he meant this track? I didn’t realise until very recently that TTOF was compiled from the early radio sessions they did for John Peel. I remember getting this when it first came out during my first flush of Hawklove, playing it and feeling royally shafted, such was the taped-from-the-inside-of-a-sock quality of the recordings. However, I can now see them in a different light. If you can put up with the aural fog, there’s actually some cracking versions on here of ‘MOTU’ and ‘You Know You’re Only Dreaming’, plus ‘Hurry On Sundown’ recorded as more of a ‘proper’ HW track rather than the glorified busking number you get on the debut. If you want to hear their first session in much better audio than TTOF, go here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAEa-sE-3G0 which also includes ‘Came Home’ aka ‘Some Of That Stuff’ (listed on TTOF, but not actually there), worth sticking with despite its Lonnie Donegan-esque intro.

Oh, and a couple of things from the telly…

I caught the last episode of the Brian Pern thing on BBC4, which is fatally hamstrung by the fact that Simon Day isn’t very funny and can’t act. However, it was almost redeemed by the closing titles sequence, which I won’t spoil if you haven’t seen it… http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06yrqzm/brian-pern-brian-pern-45-years-of-prog-and-roll-episode-3

The third part of the excellent Music Moguls series on the same channel (of course!) featured some dodgy geezer (or certainly somebody playing a dodgy geezer) talking about music PR, a subject uncomfortably close to what used to be my heart. Watch it for the extended Uriah Heep anecdote, which includes Lee Kerslake wrestling a bear… http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p039x5f7/music-moguls-masters-of-pop-3-myth-makers
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Jan 31, 2016, 21:52
Hey Colossus - In Black and Gold/Radio Static High. Just caught up with these Rocket Recording releases. I'd not got on with HC previously - albums or live - but reviews sounded good. Love them both.

E-Gone - Advice to Hill Walkers
Fyrskeppet - Sydostbrooten. Two more excellent releases from solo artist Daniel Westerlund. E-Gone is more of the familiar folk/electronica/drone/psych work he produces, Fyrskeppet is alovely ambient work

Chihei Hatakeyama & Dirk Skerries - The Storm of Silence. New release from one of my favourite labels, Glacial Movements. Classy ambient album.

Urthona plays Atlantis? Lovely heavy guitar sounds. Love the duduk sound on track 1 too, and the Flower Travellin' Band playing Sabbath guitar sound is great on the 2nd - with a lovely mellower ending too.

Troum - Acouasme. More deep and dark ambient drone.

Six Organs of Admittance - Hexadic II. Acoustic guitar ramblings from Ben Chasny.

*AR - Memorious Earth. Multimedia landscape art by Richard Skelton and Autumn Richardson. The music collates five albums some previously released. This week listened to Wolf Notes and the new piece Now This Terrestrial Sea. The first features Autumn's lovely voice evoking loss and melancholy, the second is an excellent drone piece.

Orthodox - Axis. The heaviest tracks on this just feature drum and bass, you barely miss the guitar, not least on Canicula where there's a tenor sax solo.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jan 31, 2016, 22:11
Jan 31, 2016, 22:07
Fatalist wrote:
IanB wrote:
Fatalist wrote:
IanB wrote:

Dream Theater - The Astonishing
This goes to reassert everything that has nagged at me about US Prog bands since I first heard Kansas. The singers nearly always sound like they have been recruited from a particularly anodyne branch of musical theatre. The sing like they are inhabiting a role not living it. RJ Dio is probably the only singer from America who makes Prog subject matter sound in any way convincing and he wouldn't have been seen dead around such a lightweight musical palette. Whatever you say about the Andersons, Hammill, Lake, Gabriel et al in their pomp - they sang like they meant it, man (even if they now say they didn't really).

Ha, prog is only real prog if it's sung with an English accent, discuss ;-)

That would rule out of all Europe and the French Canadian scenes before we get started. And Geddy is a totally credible singer however daft those Rush lyrics get.

Not about accent I don't think. More about the divide between imagining oneself into something potentially risible but going with it regardless and playing dress-up. I think it might have something to with people who came up through playing covers in bar bands finding the whole thing a bit fey.

Sorry, I was being facetious. On saying that, I think in the popular imagination (and certainly whenever it gets referenced/given a brief overview in the mainstream media), there's something quintessentially British about progressive rock, certainly in its initial phase - not just the classical and literary allusions (done just as well by some of the European groups), but that combination of questing, colonial spirit with a certain uptight prissiness (though that obviously doesn't apply to everybody). The cultural loam of the US at the time just didn't seem able to grow the same seeds.

It's true. I think our Prog went over on the same boat as Python and there are things that it was very clearly ok for the English to do (including dressing up as women / foxes / pixies / dog star children) that real, red blooded, hetero rock n rollers wouldn't touch with the proverbial barge pole. That's also I think why they produced no male Glam acts of note. Even Jobriath is more Broadway than Ziggy. Prog and Glam are both genres where you have to go all-in all the time come what may or not at all.
GLADMAN
950 posts

Jan 31, 2016, 22:46
- Blind Faith; Black: Colin Vearncombe may have been deeply unfashionable, unable to manipulate a market in the manner of a master craftsman like Bowie... but he possessed one of the finest voices I've heard. Never saw him live. Wish I had now. Too late
- Delta Machine; Depeche Mode: Why 'The Child Inside' wasn't re-released as a Christmas single I'll never know. Surefire No.1...
- Playing the Angel; Depeche Mode
- The Singles 81 - 85; Depeche Mode: travelling from 'See You' to 'Master and Servant' in a few tracks is a surreal experience. Martin Gore is clearly stark raving bonkers.
- One Day I'm Going to Soar - Dexys
- Words and Music by; St Etienne
- Electric; Pet Shop Boys
- In Dreams; Editors
- Low Life; New Order
- Music Complete; New Order
- Light and Magic; Ladytron
- The Inevitable End - Royksopp
- Red Kite; Sarah Cracknell
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index