Unsung Forum »
WSYM and Fried 2CD reissues

23 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nashspacerocket
10 posts

Re: WSYM and Fried 2CD reissues
Sep 29, 2015, 18:24
I don't know where to start with this mess.
WSYM is a disaster. Numerous spelling errors in the booklet and even incorrectly listing “hey high class butcher” as “hey class butcher” not once but twice.
if you have the '96 remaster and Floored Genius 2 you have every track (seeing as others have pointed out on other forums the single version of “greatness” on disc 2 is actually the album version duplicated) bar the b-side version of “Pussyface” which itself is taken from vinyl.
the sonics of disc one are truly appalling, not patch on the 96 remaster. thin, brittle, with no bottom end whatsoever. I’m beginning to think andy pearce is either the unluckiest mastering engineer ever for being given such poor source material over and over again (he has previous), or the real answer which is he’s not very good. His previous attempts IMO have been less than stellar especially his butchery of the icicle works 3cd deluxe edition of “if you want to defeat …” where instead of taking a blanket off the speakers, he put one over them by rolling off all the top end. The sonics on disc 2 are much better but no better than FG2.
Avoid at all costs and just find a nice copy of “greatness” single and rip the two tracks you need.
I A/B'd the '96 and '15 versions using an Oppo bdp-103 going into a Marantz PM6004 integrated amp, using kimber pbj interconnects, and using Grado sr225 headphones.
I'm returning the 2cd version.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index