Just Like Peter Townshend Sang...

35 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Re: Ansermet's Sheherazade
Aug 08, 2015, 12:32
Fitter Stoke wrote:
If you mean Ansermet's Paris Conservatoire recording (as distinct from the Suisse Romande one) I'm with you - it's fabulous. I've got both recordings, but it's the earlier one that is the more vibrant.

I've also got recordings of Sheherazade conducted by Beecham, Karajan, Reiner, Stokowski, Dutoit, Celibidache, Dorati, Steinberg and Kondrashin. Each has its own merits but I'll always maintain that the version that introduced me to the work - Matacic's - is particularly special. It's still available on a Testament CD if anyone's interested.

Hah! You nailed it!
It's the Paris Conservatoire one on London records # LL 6, Its a very old 33 1/3 too.
I love the thing..... played it many times. It nails the antiquity that Rimsky Korsakov must have had in mind. The solo violin voice of scherazade is so feminine and sweet too. And its just Old....{the recording}

I have 2 Ansermets, 1 Reiner, 1 Monteux,1 Ormandy,1 Bernstein, 2 Stowkowski's, 2 copies of Beecham on Angel records.....
Is that enough? All on Lp's. I've thumbed my nose at what i have thought were lesser performances over the years too....hope i was'nt too mistaken.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index