Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Edited Mar 09, 2014, 20:38
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 9 March 2014 CE
Mar 09, 2014, 20:18
Smoke Fairies – Ghosts / s/t. Collection of early singles confirms a sublime talent from early on, new album is slightly more (gulp) modern-sounding, but a real grower…

Motorpsycho – Behind the Sun. As is this. Great track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8bQcfi-Dww

Bushman’s Revenge – A Little Bit of Big Bonanza. Working my way through the back catalogue of this heavy/jazz/prog instro power trio, fantastic stuff, which put me in mind of…

Blind Idiot God – s/t. My favourite heavy/jazz/prog (oh, and dub) instro power trio album. Sounded incredible in 1987, still does today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=781PPNfALfw

Gore – The Cruel Peace. Thinking about and playing instro power trios inevitably leads to Gore. This is their third, featuring four extended pieces which are compositionally a lot more complex than the primitive but effective hardcore/metal bludgeon of their first two. Never heard Gore? Try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ7AHeLeIBk

Alrune Rod – Hej Du. Flagged by Mr Wolfe following his Danish trip, and then reading JC’s glowing write-up, thought I’d check it out. Hmmm, it really is pretty generic, though side two has some nice spacey moments. In terms of Dansk rock, I’d go for Ache: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA1GhaLtSJU

JJ Burnel – Euroman Cometh. He’s been doing a lot of interviews lately, so I thought I’d give this a listen. Quite an interesting post-punk/prog/proto electronica sound, title track is great.

Judas Priest – Stained Class. I guess this is just about the starting point of post-70s metal (or the NWOBHM, if nothing else), but it sounds surprisingly weedy compared to the mighty Sin After Sin which it follows.

Matt Baldwin – Imaginary Psychology

Bly de Blyant – Hindsight Bias

Listen With Father:

Add N to X – “Ann’s Everyday Equestrian”. Five year old says, do you have any music with a horse on it? Why, yes indeed: http://www.musiqueapproximative.net/post/add-n-to-x-09-ann-s-everyday-equestrian She accurately described it as sounding like someone on horseback being chased by aliens.

King Tubby – Dub Gone Crazy. Dub is excellent child-calming music.

Bohren und Der Club of Gore – Black Earth. The acme of uneasy listening. And yes, they took their name, if not their musical direction, from the aforementioned Gore.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Mar 09, 2014, 20:21
NP Bunny and the Bull - Original Soundtrack. Still haven't seen the film, but at least the soundtrack has brought pleasing returns. There's a Mighty Boosh connection too - same director i think. Has a kinda gypsy circussy feel to it

Six Organs of Admittance - Dark Noontide. Might just be their best - i know there's a few to choose from... like School of the Flower which I also listened to

Swans - The Seer

Joanna Newsom - Have one on me. A timely reminder that I used to think she was great after going off her 2nd album.

Gnarls Barkley - The odd couple. Overlooked follow up to the success of St Elsewhere. Some great production

Boombip - Corey MB

Dan Auerbach - Keep it hid

Ashra Tempel - Schwingungen

Akron/Family - Not as good as last weeks S/T, but still worthy

Cosmic Jokers - S/T
bauheed
bauheed
896 posts

Mar 09, 2014, 21:23
Moon Cat wrote:

Holy Mountain - Ancient Astronauts. Not got the previous album, but this is fine slab of psyche tinged stoner doom and rock.

Not got this yet, but i'd highly recomend the first LP, Earth Measures. Great live too.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1711 posts

Mar 09, 2014, 21:51
Ministry of Wolves- Music from Republic Der Wolfe

Black Sabbath- Master of Reality

Butthole Surfers- Locust Abortion Technician
Hairway to Steven
Pioughd
1988 Peel session

The Jackofficers- Digital Dump (this Buttholes electronic side project from 1990 has aged really well I think. Entirely drum machine and samples, it mixes Coil and Throbbing Gristle influences with the commercial dance and hip-hop of the day)

Lonnie Donegan- Puttin' On the Style (1977 album in which Lonnie revisits his back catalog with various all-star backing bands- Rory Gallagher, Ringo Starr, Albert Lee, Ron Wood, Brian May, Nicky Hopkins, Elton John and, er, Leo Sayer on harmonica. Enormous fun).

T-Rex- Teenage Dream (Pickwick ragbag comp of later singles and b-sides).

Toy- Join the Dots

Coconut Grove- How To Build A Maze

The Full Ugly- Spent the Afternoon

Golden Retriever- Seer

Guardian Alien- Spiritual Emergency

Nightingales- For Fuck's Sake

Automat- S/T

The Soft Moon- Zeroes

Loop- 1988 Peel Session

Live Skull- 1988 Peel Session (both on the same tape as the Buttholes one from earlier)

Robyn Hitchcock- Black Snake Diamond Role
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Mar 09, 2014, 21:57
Monganaut wrote:
What he said. Though I do find I've gotta be in the right frame of mind to listen to the comp' as a whole, else I've a tendency to hit the skip button a few too many times.

This one on the Bookmat site on the other hand, I can listen to just about any time.

http://14tracks.com/selections/13-14_tracks_for_the_dusty_veranda

(can also recommend a few others from the 14 tracks selection, huge choice below).

http://14tracks.com/selections

Dusty Veranda tracklist goes thusly...

1–Six Organs Of Admittance - Oak Path
2–Rickard Jäverling - Heavenly Birds, Part 1
3–John Fahey - O'Holy Night
4–Early Songs - Raining At Your House
5–Mount Eerie - I Know No One
6–Jack Rose - Sunflower River Blues
7–Gentleman Losers - Gold Dust Afternoon
8–Bird By Snow -Sasquatch Says: "The Old World Whisper
9–Black Twig Pickers - Last Kind Word Blues
10–Vetiver - Angel's Share
11–James Blackshaw - Skylark Herald's Dawn
12–Aeroc -Blue Eyed Bitter
13–Hush Arbors - Gypsy Wood
14–Eric Carbonara -Dead Trees In The Life Of Speed

Cheers folks!
flashbackcaruso
1060 posts

Edited Mar 13, 2014, 17:14
Mar 09, 2014, 22:04
The Stranglers - Feline
The Stranglers - Aural Sculpture

Michael Nesmith - Old Woolhat: Rarities

David Bowie - The Rise & Fall Of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars

Kate Bush - The Kick Inside

Adam & The Ants - Kings Of The Wild Frontier

Uriah Heap - Look At Yourself

Vangelis - Direct
Vangelis - The City

Focus - Focus 3

Sparks - Terminal Jive
Sparks - Whomp That Sucker

Status Quo - Quo

Les Rallizes Denudes - Great White Wonder (Disc 4)

Hawkwind - Hawkwind

XTC - Skylarking

Far Out - Nihonjin
Far East Family Band – Nipponjin
Monganaut
Monganaut
2387 posts

Mar 09, 2014, 23:35
Well I fibbed when I said I was gonna peruse Copes back catalogue after final Druidon, [sniff :( maybe next week].

This week has been...

Gruff Rhys - Candylion
Found in Cancer Research for a pound. Bargain! Played t about a dozen ties already. Feckin' amazing effort from messer Rhys, esp love the uber catchy Gyrru Gyrru Gyrru (S'Welsh for Driving apparently) and 14 minute homage to the sci-fi needle at the Festival of Britain that was Skylon. Hotel Shampoo any good? cos' it's going on the list regardless.

Appliance - Imperial Metric
I've managed to overlook this belter of a record for years in favour of the more motorik and accessible 'Are You Earthed?. Been sitting gathering dust pretty much since I bought it when it came out. Maybe cos' it has a slightly more downbeat, introverted nature compared to it's favoured twin. Now gladly remedied, as I've been playing it to death, s'great!

Bill Callahan - Have Fun With God (In Dub)
Kinda works. His voice lends itself well to this kinda quasi dub vibe. Not everything is great, 'bout 80% successful.

Stranglers - The Raven/ La Folie
Was looking for Feline, but all I could find in the shelves was this twofer CD edition. Enjoyed The Raven (first two tracks would fit nicely with the cracking Vikings series showing on History/Lovefilm). Don't think I'd ever heard La Folie all the way through (except for the outstanding single Golden Brown). Overall impression. First few tracks were OK, then it all went a bit meh! Need to find Feline, Much prefer it.

Magazine - Play / Live and Intermittent
Remember buying 'Intermittent' at the Manchester gig several years ago. Played it once, then thought I'd got stung. Listening back t'other night, once the first few ropey recordings were over, it got mighty fine! inna lofi bootleg stylee. A pal of mine said that the remastered play (the 2 disc edition) had lost the 'audiency/live' feel of the original version, so thought I's put it to the test, and blow me if he ain't right. Some tracks seem to be edited for audience'reaction, can't remember which song off the top of my head, but it's a good coupla minutes shorter.

Simian Mobile Disco - Attack Sustain Decay Release RMX
Dunno why I have this, think a friend said I ought to like them, he seemed to think as I liked Tarwater and Stereolab, these fell somewhere in between. WRONG!. This seems to me like generic house music on the whole. Yes, I know this is a remix album etc (Chrome Hoof and Oscillation mixes seem OK), but it's all a bit by the numbers for me. Stuff I've heard on you tube doesn't sound that different either. Never mind...off to the charity shop with it

Was reading on 'fan' board about the latest bunch of Stones remasters.
Was gonna re-buy sticky fingers as a birthday gift to myself (47 years old today folks if anyones bothered) as I thought my old Virgin remaster was getting a little battered. Turns out, popular opinion says that sound quality in terms of how the Stones wanted to album to sound lies with the version I have. Supposedly it's better than the newer tweek in sounding closer to original vinyl. Guess it's off to computer exchange to get the disc polished instead then, just so it stops bloody skipping on the odd track.

Fever Ray - Memories from When I Grew Up (Subliminal Kid Remix)
Still loving this 20 odd minute slo mo creepy epic.

That's about it. Keep well and enjoy the fine weather whilst it lasts.
keith a
9577 posts

Mar 10, 2014, 00:28
Monganaut wrote:

Hotel Shampoo any good? cos' it's going on the list regardless.

Yes! A great pop album IMO.

Anyway,here's mine...

LP’s
Young Americans – David Bowie
Night Gallery - Eternal Tapestry & Sun Araw
Your Mind Is A Box - Poltergeist
Phantom Power – Super Furry Animals
My People Were Fair – Tyrannosaurus Rex
West – Wooden Shjips

45’s (WARNING! Includes lots of titles with HEART in them!)
All Of My Heart – ABC
Safety Pin In Your Heart – Patrik Fitzgerald
Destroy The Heart – House Of Love
Heart Like A Wheel – Human League
Transmission – Joy Division
Heartache Avenue – The Maisonettes
Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad? - Moby
Irish Blood, English Heart – Morrissey
I Can Hear The Grass Grow – The Move
Heartache Is Irresistible – The Noseflutes
Heartbreak Stroll – The Raveonettes
Becoming More Like God - Jah Wobble's Invaders Of The Heart
Neon Hearts – X Lion Tamer
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Mar 10, 2014, 02:22
"Hotel Shampoo" is really good. (Love Candylion too - Skylon is indeed amazing)

Gruff Rhys is a real talent I reckon.
Incoming Traveller
Incoming Traveller
218 posts

Mar 10, 2014, 09:19
Electric Sewer Age: Moon's Milk (Final Phase).

The first part of Sleazy's final works. Well worth waiting for.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index