30 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Feb 23, 2014, 23:30
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 23 February 2014 CE
Feb 23, 2014, 23:23
Been dubbing vinyl to hardrive for the first time in a few years in preparation for a lend fo an lp from a friend. So been listening to some singles I picked up largely in the 80s.

High TIde Baby Dancing/Letter From A Coward
young Psychedelic revival band from the turn of the 80s, put this out on an Indie label called Sunday Morning presumably after the Velvets song. I hear Velvets in the b-side not so much on the a.
Baby Dancing has been a record I've loved since I bought this. I've been meaning to dub this for years but last time I had the USB turntable connected it can't have been earthed properly so kept on screwing up, which is why I haven't used it since. But seems ok now.

Folk Devils Beautiful Monster 12" e.p.
4 track with extended version of teh title track.
I really liked this band at the time. Vitriolic punky rockabilly influenced stuff that wasn't linked to the psychobilly scene and seemed to be more influenced by The Fall possibly.
This also has Art Ghetto, Brian Jones's Bastard Son and Nice People on all of which are pretty great.
I also dubbed the Hank Turns Blue single which i think was their debut and is even more thrashabilly. Advocating the effect of a heroin o.d. as a career move to an unsuccessful singer.

Bugblot Steeple e.p.
Great guitar stuff from a trio lead by an American I used to be acquainted with. I think he also played guitar with jah Wobble on occasion and hung out with the Gaye Bykers oN Acid if I remember right.
This is pretty psychy indie stuff I particularly like the song Started Going Out which was what I bought it for I think.

Viva Saturn s/t mini lp
1989 set by a band including the Roback brothers several years after the Paisley Underground scene had pretty much ended. This maintains some of that sound as well as more semi acoustic stuff. Can be a little Saccharine but I think it delivers on a few tracks.

Cramps Weekend On Mars
One of my favourite tracks by the band but relegated to a live version on the b-side of a single. B-side to Gorehound.
Kid Congo era, released in 1983 just before he went back to....

Gun Club Sympathy For the Record INdustry single
this has the Dotson/Ritter/Graham line-up on one side 'Walking With The Beast which had been the b-side of the Fire Of Love single and otherwise only released in the band's existence in a recording made by the post '86 line up on Pastoral Hide and Seek. I like this early version
Other side is Secret Fires which was the Kid Congo/Morrison/Graham line up and wound up as a bonus track on the SFRI reissue of Las Vegas Story so I don't know why they didn't stick Walking on the Miami reissue. Not sure where you can get taht particlular recording these days since this single is presumably long gone.

Moodists Enough Legs To Live on
Red Flame single by this Australian group. I don't know why it was overlooked when they compiled Two Fisted Art, actually just found out that the b-side is on there which I should have known.
This does still feature the metallic textures of Mick Turner who left pretty soon after which was a shame cos he combined really well with the rumbling bass of Chris Walsh.

Ut s/t & Confidential e.ps
the 2 e.ps put oout on the Out label in 1984 before they started releasing things on Blast First. I had the Conviction lp too not sure if I still do.
arty No-Wave stuff by the band who'd relocated to the UK by this point.

Playn Jayn Friday 13th attendance single
Chamber Door and an instrumental version called Mezcal which were given away as a 7" to people who went to the gig recorded as the band's live lp.
I think it's long since time that somebody reissued the band's material on cd.

non vinyl rip stuff

Seeds Raw & Alive 2cd
Been listening to both discs of this over the last week. & think that the screams mixed onto the faux live lp add a certain something. Maybe I'm just really used to them , though probably shouldn't be I've been neglecting my Flower Punk box of their recordings way too long.
The set does sound pretty good in its original undubbed state as you hear on the first version here.
The actual live lp also sounds pretty good though you can hear that Sky's vocals do veer away from perfect pitch quite a bit in places which is why it wasn't released up til now.

Have they Got Hashish in Hell?
4cd of Rembetika material largely from the 30s so contemporary to most recordings of delta blues of which they were something of a Greek equivalent. Very touching stuff though for the most part I don't know what they're singing about. It's all greek to me.
Anyway glad I grabbed this, been wanting to get into this kind of stuff for years.

Barefoot Jerry Watching Tv With The Radio on/You Can't Get Off with Your Shoes on
Stoner country stuff that can get pretty psychedelic in places. A bunch of country session men who had also been involved in the Area Code 615 project also formed this later band.
I'm hoping that the 1st 2 lps by this bunch are going to appear in a similar set some time in the near future.

Got hold of another walkman and filled it with different material to the one I've been listening to for the last couple of years so that's an interesting experience. A continual personal radio station of music I'm half familiar with and having to check all the time to find out who is playing.
Hadn't realised Spirit were quite so heavy as I found out earlier tonight.

WAtching
Have watched 3 serieses of Boardwalk Empire since the last time I did one of these. Mainly been sitting making stuffed animals and watching things on the tv through a memory stick.

Orphan Black
not got that far with this so far. I watched bits of it while it was showing a few months ago and wanted to catch up with it.

Monument Men,
more of a nothing film than I'd hoped.

Reading
trying to read up on basics of how to make men's clothing. Seems to be a lot more about women's out there.
Getting int using sewing machine and always wanted to know how to make things. Wonder how long it took the MC5's girlfriends to get as good as they did.

think I'll end there
Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index