Unsung Forum »
"How Selling Out Saved Indie Rock"

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Re: "How Selling Out Saved Indie Rock"
Nov 19, 2013, 17:29
Ha! In all fairness, I do like my electronica and all the groovy bleeps stuff. That's just... I dunno, really... Cold and unengaging.

I love drum'n'bass and techno and pretty much anything from any genre. Or at least any genre, bar that particular area. I still haven't stumbled across the right artiste, maybe.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: "How Selling Out Saved Indie Rock"
Nov 19, 2013, 17:37
Yep I get what your saying. Dunno exactly what it is about that track that works for me. It's so understated, a rare thing in dubstep. I like my minimal, raw essentials stuff though.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Re:
Nov 19, 2013, 17:44
Lots to agree with here (I'd love to be able to blame Oasis for everything that's wrong in music from 1994 onwards), but I think it paints something of a picture of halcyon golden age of "indie" from late 70s and 80s.

I remember reading the Indie Charts the NME used to publish in the late 80s, which only featured yer actual "independent" labels, meaning that Black Box, Kylie, Jason and Rick Astley used to feature prominently, but "indie" darlings like Morrissey and Sonic Youth didn't.

Even earlier, for every wondrous Spiral Scratch EP or Unknown Pleasures there was something lumpen by the Exploited. As Mr Treacy so aptly put it:

Then they go to Rough Trade
To buy Siouxsie and the Banshees
They heard John Peel play it
Just the other night
They'd like to buy the O Level single
or Read about Seymour
But they're not pressed in red
So they buy The Lurkers instead
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Re:
Nov 19, 2013, 17:54
For one short-lived but beautiful moment in 1999 my bands single was at No.19 in the NME indie chart and Jamiroquai were at No.20.

I bloody hate Jamiroquai.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Nov 19, 2013, 18:07
Hooray for your band, I am now trying to force myself away from trying to find a copy of said chart online, as this is the kind of anorak nonsense that means I'm 2 months behind with photos, 2 years behind with fieldnotes and a lifetime behind with Anything Useful Whatsoever.

I hated Jamiroquai as well, although obviously not because they were competition :)
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Nov 20, 2013, 00:06
ah, we were certainly not competition in any way, I'm sure the next week they sold more than we'd ever sell in 50 years, but it was an odd moment.
chart should be may/june time 1999, if you succumb. ;)
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index