IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 25, 2012, 07:03
Re: New Scott Walker album out December 3rd
Sep 24, 2012, 20:03
Daniel wrote:
http://www.thewire.co.uk/articles/9811/

Machetes, finger snaps, rams horns? Oh...yes, the usual stuff. Let's see but I think I'll pass this.

Not all that interested any more. He says nothing to me about my life etc.

As I get older I feel obliged to compare artists of our generation with their equivalents from previous eras. For example - Scott Walker? Alban Berg? Not much of a contest really despite the fact that they deal with comparable subject matter and melodic material.

Tilt was an aberation that stood out in a moment in time where facile, highly technical, highly unmusical, shallow crap held sway. Scott Walker is established as a fantastic singer of other people's songs and Farmer In The City is a glorious piece of writing but the rest is (in my opinion) unproven in terms of a place in the pantheon. There are 38 years between Climate to Bish Bosch. Berg had changed the musical world a couple of times over long before his death at the age of 50. Wozzeck, Lulu, the violin concerto and the Lyric Suite etc were for all time. Love him and his voice as a I do I am not sure Scott Walker has produced anything that is anywhere near that range / scale of achievement.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index