IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 06, 2012, 07:08
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 5 August 2012 CE
Aug 05, 2012, 08:52
Bruckner 8th Symohony - BBC SSO / Donald Runnicles
Fantastic performance and still on iPlayer for a week

TG Collective - Release The Penguins
A kind of jazz-prog Ketama with Focus-y / Gentle Giant-y knobs on. Jan Akkerman fans should like this a lot. Thanks Mooncat! Looking forward to seeing them live.

Roy Harper - Counter Culture
Some of the choices were unexpected and reflected his live set at the time but for those coming to Roy Harper for the first time this is going to be far and away the most satisfying of his many career retrospectives sets. For the uninitiatd I would certainly recommend this above Songs of Love and Loss though that set makes a nice iTunes playlist for those of us with all the records already but if you plan on going deep I would start with Flat Baroque and Berserk.

Rumer - Boys Don't Cry (Special Edition)
The gift that keeps on giving. Unless something extraordinary happens this will be my non classical album of 2012.

Various - Hunky Dory
Not one for the terminally cynical but, like records by Langley Schools, Eugene Chadbourne and Portsmouth Symphonia, these performances make some tired and over familiar / over exposed tunes spring back to life. It might also convince you that while the cool kids in 1975 were laughing at ELO (myself included) for their MOR appeal and lack of er .... heaviosity, Jeff Lynne was actually turning out some pretty great (if oddly mixed) pop records.

Unsung Forum Index