3 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Re: Yellow Submarine
Jun 06, 2012, 11:14
Gnomon wrote:
Re-released on dvd. I always loved the 'new' songs that appeared in this film. Hey Bulldog is a classic, though it is somewhat marred nowadays as sounding too much like Oasis to my mind. I know that sounds odd! I'm sure I'd have liked Pavement more had I heard them in their day rather than being pointed towards them retrospectively by the band Johnny Foreigner who cite them as an influence; unfortunately, much of Pavement sounds like a Johnny Foereigner copy band!
The two George Harrison songs are ace - It's Only A Northern Song and It's All Too Much are classics.
Even McCartney's All Together Now is a fond Beatles favourite of mine.
Can't wait to get into town to pick up a copy and reacquainted with the Blue Meanies!

I remember xmas mornings having A Hard Day's Night or Help! on the tv as a child. Haven't seen either of those for many a moon either.

:o)

Mine's in the post - was dispatched Saturday but clearly held up by the bloody Jubilee bank holidays. Can't understand why they put the release date back to this week as they were originally scheduled for release 28 May. Suppose it serves me right for not getting off my arse and going to a shop ha ha.
It's funny what you say about Hey Bulldog as I always thought it was the one Beatles tune Oasis could actually do some justice to - you are right, it is incredibly proto-Gallagher and the one song where I can actually see the over-exaggerated Liam comparisons. Why they didn't do this one instead of the ridiculously pointless version of Helter Skelter with Noel on vocals is beyond me. P'raps the bassline was just too tricky. Still, that said probably a good thing they didn't in hindsight.
It is a hell of a tune though, and a wonderfully unbalanced production with Macca clearly attempting to dominate proceedings (despite the fact that the tune is supposedly a rather subtle dig at him).
Maybe it'll come tomorrow then!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index