Yo La Tengo - Reinventing the Wheel

34 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Re: Yo La Tengo - Reinventing the Wheel
Jun 10, 2011, 13:47
I went last night and was very impressed...

They started with the Wheel of Fortune bit and some amusing comments about Slade being better than Sabbath that accidentally opened up the Wolves/Birmingham football thing (though Ira Kaplan did try and get out of this by big-upping the Move!). The previous night was the TV show thing (the episode of Judge Judy with John Lydon on) so that was not up for offer...having Condofucks on the wheel three times the band were apparently irritated that hadn't come up. An American lady from the audience span the wheel and it landed on Condofucks.

So that was the first set and it felt like Sonic Youth/Husker Du tearing through lots of garage rock. From what I recall they played stuff by The Kinks, The Small Faces, The Troggs and The Flamin' Groovies...

They then took a break and came back with a YLT set - a couple from 'Popular Songs' and 'And Then Nothing...' featured and a brilliant double whammy of 'Shaker' and 'Moby Octopad.' There was also a song I didn't know that had very Krautrock drums with organ in a Jon Spencer/Make Up-style. A surpremely epic take on 'I Heard You Looking' climaxed the set....

The encore was apparently a Slade song (played in a Condofucks style) that I didn't recognise. & then a Sun-Ra song in a doo-wop style (which I didn't recognise) and a closing acoustic-ish version of 'You Can Have It All.'

Very glad to have seen them after meaning to for several years...and must pick up the albums I don;t have!!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index