Dragontears

14 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Dragontears
Oct 27, 2010, 19:48
I kind of agree about Baby Woodrose -- but the Dragontears project is more ambitious (and I think more enjoyable.)

Was thinking about this question of when it becomes a "good thing" to ape sounds of the past, and when it becomes a "bad thing."

I approve of The Black Angels and Black Mountain because they are "vibey" -- it's not just that they sound like the 1960's, it's that they sound like THEY MEAN IT MAAAN, and they have something to say beyond "aren't we groovy?"

(The Black Angels show I saw included a psychedelic light show superimposing industrial meat grinders with war footage and that sort of thing, while they sing about a "new Vietnam war." On one level that's all stuff that could have been done 40 years ago, but also it's very relevant to what's going on right now. History does go in circles sometimes!)

But I got no time for the style-fetish "paisley underground" type of thing. That music is "all style, NO VIBE" (only Dukes of Stratosphear managed to pull that off with any charm.)

Unsung Forum Index