Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: S P A R K S
Mar 30, 2015, 07:15
Has it been released?

I actually hold out a bit of hope for it. Before becoming Franz Ferdinand, they used to be a bunch of Art P-Punk weirdos called The Yummy Fur (named after one of my favourite comics ever). If they invoke that side- which wouldn't be too unlikely in the company of older, weirder peers- it could be great. Not to mention, I don't think Sparks have ever gone for the wiry guitar licks sound before, perhaps with good reason. Not dismissing it outright is what I'm saying. I suppose it depends who gloms on whom the most.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Mar 30, 2015, 15:49
Find the cheapest one you can in a second hand shop. Guaranteed at least one track will be worth it. Then repeat. Eventually you'll hit the 100%ers
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Mar 30, 2015, 15:55
Sin Agog wrote:
they used to be a bunch of Art P-Punk weirdos called The Yummy Fur

No they weren't. Huntley/Kapranos might have been a temp member of YF, but that's about it. (Did the drummer join FF too?) They were The Blisters. Who got their ass sued for having an deeply unoriginal name. Then The Karelia, who were the houseband of Tuts for a while you couldn't got to a gig without them being support. THEY became FF (mainly because the bass player took over managing them).

Aside from that, I for one relish the idea of Russell getting to sing Matinee at the FFS gigs
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Mar 30, 2015, 16:39
I'll do me best.
carol27
747 posts

Mar 30, 2015, 20:12
2003 Sparks track from Li'l Beethoven - My Baby's Taking Me Home. It's one of the best things I ever heard.
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Mar 31, 2015, 01:40
I saw them a MILLION years ago and they were very memorable. The singer bounced around like a marionette gone mad while the keyboardist (his brother?) never moved except his fingers to play. Very enjoyable show must of been 30 yrs ago!
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited May 23, 2015, 19:52
May 23, 2015, 19:41
Just got reminded of this whilst looking at the Glastonbury lineup, and it seems to be exactly what I envisioned earlier from the songs put out so far- a spikier Sparks, a funner Franz. Johnny Delusional's my favourite so far. Or possibly Collaborations Don't Work.
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Edited May 26, 2015, 16:34
May 26, 2015, 16:33
I had always been a fan, my older brother had Indiscreet, Propoganda etc. I liked the Moroder stuff. There was a weirded out synthy album that just missed Acid and House (a bit too early) and had a brilliant song about Madonna on it.
My personal fave is the "Gratuitous Sax and Sensless Violins" album. They hit a great pop groove on it with The Beatmasters et all contributing to the early 90's techno-ed up sound. Great singles from that album.

There was also a non-album single recorded with Finitribe called "National Crime Awareness Week" which is sublime. Quite hard to find. The video is great. The Maels just threw this one out there ... and moved on...

https://youtu.be/6Iz53uzlNls

I love the videos from that time where Ron had switched the letters "l" and "n" around on his Roland synth.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2388 posts

Re: SPARKS
May 26, 2015, 21:46
i've no idea why this track was
not issued as a single !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMLhr4mI0Mc
1001realapes
1001realapes
2388 posts

Edited Mar 29, 2017, 13:37