72 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Doody
33 posts

Re: Most psychotic record?
Feb 05, 2010, 21:21
Popel Vooje wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
[quote="Doody"]Damaged by Black Flag definitely counts as a psychotic record for me. I put it on about twice a year, and I always wind up shaken and upset by it. I don't know why I still own it.

Anything by Dystopia counts for me, too, but especially their final, self-titled LP. Literally all the lyrics are about either the depths of drug addiction, the depths of mental illness, or the depths of abuse of power. Their sound is absolutely claustrophobic, too. They might give Swans a run for their money as the most negative band ever.

Cheers for the recommendation - I've never heard Dystopia but now feel inclined to check them out, going by your description.

I have "Damaged" and I still like it, but for me there's an undercurrent of humour that keeps it from entering the realms of ther truly disturbing (especially on songs like "TV Party" which sounds to me like a piss-take of slackers written before slackers even existed). Whereas Husker Du's "Metal Circus" would be another matter (containing as it does "Diane" which is a genuinely upsetting song).

Then of course there's GG Allin...

Hey, no problem. I've found out about a lot of music from the Unsung section of this website, and this forum seems like a great way to find out about (and share) a lot more!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index