Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 17 January 2010 CE

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 17 January 2010 CE
Jan 17, 2010, 20:00
I see Brock is talking up a new album too - something to do with the end of the world in 2012. About time too - the album that is and not the end of the world - TMTYL was the only album of new material in the last decade.

Joolio
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 17, 2010, 20:30
Joolio Geordio wrote:
I see Brock is talking up a new album too - something to do with the end of the world in 2012. About time too - the album that is and not the end of the world - TMTYL was the only album of new material in the last decade.

Joolio

He'd better get on with it then!
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Jan 17, 2010, 21:35
I never understood why the Mayans were so obsessed with the world ending just after 10 past 8!
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Edited Jan 17, 2010, 21:42
It's The Business of The Future To Be Dangerous!
Jan 17, 2010, 21:41
It's The Business of the Future to be Dangerous - is not often played at stately Geordio Manor - and is usually greeted with derison from me but it has been getting some airplay and u know what its kind of not a bad headphone album - imagine an album of updated Opa Loka's!
Mind u if u imagine an album of updated Aubergine That Ate Rangoon's then u know u should have stayed away from the brown acid! 8-)

Joolio
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: It's The Business of The Future To Be Dangerous!
Jan 17, 2010, 21:51
Joolio Geordio wrote:
It's The Business of the Future to be Dangerous - is not often played at stately Geordio Manor - and is usually greeted with derison from me but it has been getting some airplay and u know what its kind of not a bad headphone album - imagine an album of updated Opa Loka's!
Mind u if u imagine an album of updated Aubergine That Ate Rangoon's then u know u should have stayed away from the brown acid! 8-)

Joolio

yeah, I have that album. Tis on ye olde double Vinyle. I think Hawkwind had been somewhat co-opted by the trance/acid house festy scene at the time and it was clearly rubbing off.
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Jan 17, 2010, 21:59
What do u make of the the Levitation reissue Moony?
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 17, 2010, 22:35
Only got Levitation on vinyl then on a CD digi-pack that I think is from the 90's. No extras as such so it's Levitation as I remember it really.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jan 17, 2010, 22:56
Tangerine Dream - Sorcerer
Really enjoying this, hadn't heard it before. A bit like the Rubycon/Phaedra period Tangs, but shorter tracks.

Focus 3
When I'm in the mood, Focus are hard to top. A classic.

Gong - 2032
Still loving this to bits. Haven't got bored with it at all. Brings me much joy to know they can still be this good.

Uriah Heep - The Magicians Birthday
Classic Heep, but I'm not keen on everything on here. Sometimes gets a bit to ballady for my taste.

The Incredible String Band - 5000 Spirits
I'm rather ashamed to admit I've only just got hold of this, never heard them before except one or two snatches. This album has blown me away. For some reason I'd assumed I wouldn't like them very much, but how wide of the mark that was!

Klaus Schulze - Cyborg
Really got into this in a big way now. Lovely electronic squiggles Quite bleak, but beautiful.

Daevid Allen - Bananamoon
Dug out the old vinyl of this, partly coz I've been trying to get it on CD and failed. Sounds really great on my new(ish) turntable too, fantastic recording. Love the Robert Wyatt track. Well, I love it all actually.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jan 17, 2010, 23:38
Squid Tempest wrote:

The Incredible String Band - 5000 Spirits
I'm rather ashamed to admit I've only just got hold of this, never heard them before except one or two snatches. This album has blown me away. For some reason I'd assumed I wouldn't like them very much, but how wide of the mark that was!

I'd immediately go out & get the (to me anyway) better next lp Hangman's Beautiful Daughter which is more experimental, mystical & less poppy. I think that's their peak, though some of the feeling carries over to the next set of music. Soon after they became Scientologists and at least partially lost something in their music.

I'd also repeat the reccommendation for the original 2nd member Clive Palmer's C.O.B. lps. I think he predated Mike Heron, if he didn't actually start up the band himself.

There are a couple of ISB compis of demoes & outtakkes that I think are both on Hux. Chelsea Sessions I think is contemporary to 5000 Spirits & Tricks of The Senses is a double covering material over the end of the 60s.

just seen that Sanctuary put out some other compi stuff. The Circle Is Unbroken seems to cover their whole career. Reviews at Amazon don't look too favourable though.
Stevo
keith a
9573 posts

Jan 18, 2010, 00:00
LP’s
ISLAND ANTHOLOGY – Black Uhuru
AGAIN – Colder
CULTURE IN DUB – Culture
MIRACLE KICKER – Dark Captain Light Captain
YOU COULD HAVE IT SO MUCH BETTER – Franz Ferdinand
WE LOVE THE CITY – Hefner