34 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shiner
shiner
90 posts

Edited Oct 21, 2009, 20:09
Re: If you're interested
Oct 21, 2009, 20:08
I think it is a decent list and would have been disappointed if ‘White Blood Cells’ wasn’t at least in the top ten. I think they hit most of the important albums of the decade. I too think rock music has been getting better in recent years. I think critics and record buyers have spoken and the artists have listened.
But I will also give credit where credit is due; and I think Pitchfork Media has a lot to do with it. They put out 5 reviews a day and hold the artists to certain standards. If you are tired and lackluster they let the world know. If what you are doing is new and pushing the limits of music and sound; exploring new territory, guess what? They let the world know. They have praised crap but some of the albums they praise are classics I would never have heard of if it were not for them.
This is just a hunch, but listen to the last few flaming lips albums. Yoshimi was good but they were getting in a rut. Now listen to ‘Embryonic’, a great album. I know, I know, they always experiment and change sound every 10 years, but this was a hell of a departure. My first thought after hearing it was Pitchfork is going to give this at least a 9. My point being is music IS finally getting better again. I have had to adjust my ears a bit to the likes of Grizzly Bear (whom I love) and a few others. I hope the trend continues.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index