A Place to Bury Strangers

15 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Re: A Place to Bury Strangers
Nov 23, 2008, 13:15
I think the goth-call is fair enough, and sometimes there is a thin line between Joy Division and The Nephilim...

I have played this quite often and like the Wooden Shjips record I like it, despite the influences being quite apparent.

The Mary Chain were very patchy after Psychocandy - especially the Billy Idol-sounds of Automatic...so I don't buy John Harris' notion in the Guarniad that Distortion by Magnetic Fields is pointless as a version of th Mary Chain has reformed and managed to play a few gigs.

It's strange how a lot of the late 80's stuff is in vogue these days - Deerhunter have been compared to Ultra Vivid Scene/Pale Saints/Loop/Cocteau Twins/MBV etc, and now this lot (plus Ladytron and their support, the v patchy - in the live-sense - Asobi Seksu). & with reissues of Loop and Swervedriver it feels like shoegaze city...

The fellow who is a place to bury strangers (a crap name, I concur) is suposed to have produced nice equipment Wilco used on those records with Jim O'Rourke...though I might have read that on wikipedia, so it probably isn't very true...

Unsung Forum Index