IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re: Steve Marriott
Aug 23, 2008, 17:37
zphage wrote:
IanB wrote:
Tekpop wrote:
Humble Pie have their fans. In fact they were more successful in the states than the Small Faces ever were. Unfortunately, bellowing boogie is what you get most of the time with Pie. That said, the live album "Performance: Rocking the Filmore" has its moments and is probably the best they had to offer. They do a looooong version of 'I Walk on Glided Splinters' that, while it doesn't beat Dr. John's, it comes awfully close.

Agreed. That's the highlight. All the live stuff is worth checking out - esp the BBC In Concert. Can't remember if that was a legit release or a boot. Even parts of the live stuff on "Eat It" are pretty good in parts.

They were a superior boogie outfit who didn't overplay their hand with endless soloing but Marriott's ghetto child vocal mannerisms are, if anything, even more risible than Jagger's. Can't quite take anyone seriously when they are so uncomfortable being themselves. You're not American, get over it!

I think he wanted to be a soul man more than American. He also needed a foil ala Ronnie Lane or Frampton. As his career wore on he played with those that did not threaten/surpass him.

Very true. I just can't stand it when he goes into his Soul Man voice. It's worse than Mick's. And that's saying something.

Unsung Forum Index