Stooges live 70-71

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Stooges live 70-71
Mar 04, 2008, 16:12
I just read the Paul Trynka Iggy Pop bio & he mentions several live tapes from 70 & 71. I'm just wondering if any of these have seen wider circulation.
Only thing I'm aware of myself is the '71 set that Reciever (?) put out 10 or 15 years back which sounded like it was recorded from the carpark or something. I was thinking of that set when I was asking a couple of weeks back about to what extent you can clear up old recordings. i'm just remembering getting the set off a blog & thinking it was a great, rocking set but the sound was execrable.(at which point Down On The Street comes on my random walkman).

Would like to get my hands on some of this stuff if possible
Stevo
MC
638 posts

Re: Stooges live 70-71
Mar 04, 2008, 17:10
Snap! Stevo, I'm halfway through Paul T's book too, it's incredibly well researched. Next on my bookshelf is MC5 Sonically Speaking.

That 70/71 Stooges cd you mention came out on the Starfighter label (great tracks but pure sludge soundwise most from Factory 1971) but Paul T mentions in his book that he has heard some other tapes from this era (Williamson and Ron Ashton on dual lead guitar) which are far better quality. These, I'm pretty sure have never been released and are not doing the rounds on any of the tape trader networks. I have a feeling they are owned by Danny Fields. Shit, I'm just happy they exist and might sometime see the light of day.

There is a also a 1970 Stooges recording from Ungano's in New York (Funhouse stuff) which Easy Action are hopefully going to release this year - negotions are under way but taking quite a while.

Don't waste your time with the Stooges - Soldier Field 1970 gig this is pretty rough quality (better than the Starfighter cd but with no rare tracks to redeem it)
Sir John Dunn
Sir John Dunn
530 posts

Mar 04, 2008, 17:42
The French label Revenge Records put out a batch of lo-fi live tracks by the Stooges some years back. Of historical value only, some say.
MC
638 posts

Mar 04, 2008, 18:13
All of the Revenge stuff is far superior in quality than the Starfighter CD "Live 1971 and Other Rarities" so if you can handle that you can handle anything.

For any Stooges live&demo neophyte I'd suggest going for the Rubber Legs CD - CBS Demos (on New Rose) to start with, then California Bleeding - Live 1973 (Bomp) then probably Live in LA 1973 (Revenge).
Grinningboy
Grinningboy
112 posts

Mar 04, 2008, 18:37
The best one-stop shop for all Iggy & The Stooges (ie Raw Power era and beyond) live material is Easy Action's Heavy Liquid box set. It's reasonably priced, contains all the decent rehearsal recordings (ie Rubber Legs), the Raw Power outtakes (I Got A Right etc) and some reasonable live recordings. I'm not convinced there's any remaining live, of the era, Holy Grail-type stuff left to be uncovered. As with Metallic KO, much of latterday Stooges live performances consist of Iggy baiting the crowd and adlibbing some iffy lyrics which are fairly crude by even his standards - eg Rich Bitch
Sir John Dunn
Sir John Dunn
530 posts

Mar 04, 2008, 18:59
The Revenge stuff certainly has its moments. The Stooges cover versions of Purple Haze and I’m Waiting For The Man were obviously spur-of-the-moment things and never meant for general release but great to hear, nonetheless.

I also like the early ‘70s radio ad for the Stooges gigs at the “visually and acoustically perfect” American Theatre, St Louis. “In the beginning, there was Iggy Stooge. Then there was Alice. And then there was David. But the most bizarre of this incredible trio has always been and remains……IGGY!”
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Mar 05, 2008, 00:37
What's the best source for their cover of "The Ballad Of Hollis Brown"?
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1704 posts

Mar 05, 2008, 01:04
Glam Descendant wrote:
What's the best source for their cover of "The Ballad Of Hollis Brown"?

Probably Bomp's 'Wild Love', a collection of Iggy and James Williamson rehearsing before the last tour. The best collection of Stooges stuff I've found on the net is this guys list, not sure how much he trades though.

http://www.iggypop.org/dirtstradelist.html#audiostooges
Five
Five
960 posts

Re: Stooges Hollis Brown
Mar 05, 2008, 02:01
It's them playing it on the "I'm Not There" soundtrack, isn't it? Don't know when the version's from but it's a good one, up there with Leon Russell's proto-electro-techno version from the mid-70s but heavier
boy howdy
boy howdy
185 posts

Mar 05, 2008, 03:04
Yeah, my favorite live Stooges LP is California Bleeding for sure... great cuts, nice banter, cool cover, and nice Iggy interview snips between cuts (which sounds like a bad idea but somehow ends up greatly enhancing the listening experience.) It's from when they were living in L.A. late 73-early 74.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index