Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
What artist do you have 24hours worth of material?

77 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Five
Five
960 posts

Re: What artist do you have 24hours worth of material?
Jan 27, 2008, 04:24
Honestly, it's all from blogs, and I am not sure exactly what all of it is. A google search should turn up a lot of it for you. Univive sounds right for one or two of them. Also some of the "colors" discs, a bunch of random live sets from various years, most of the albums I've seen mentioned here and elsewhere.

I haven't had time to listen closely to the lot, though I have played each bunch at least once or twice as it came in. There are certain times when I like to listen to them - usually very late at night, when my brain either has stopped or won't stop - so it takes a long time to get familiar with any kind of large cross-section of their material.

I will say that there are a few studio recordings from the 80s scattered throughout, that there is more variation to the setlist than I had expected (though not so much to the general approach), that I'm sure the lineup changes but I'm not always sure when or how (some of the collections have personnel lists that accompany but I haven't done a close analysis yet, just listened and dug, I think while writing some kind of weird fiction or other in a hotel in florida) and that the fractal variation throughout the whole giant work is very compelling for me, like listening to rain on a tin roof or watching it drip down the window.

There's just something about Mizutani's energy, I don't know what, like there is with Jimi or a few others. There are times when I like having him in the room, and you can never have too much to choose from.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index