Pink Floyd '69 '70 '71

24 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Pink Floyd '69 '70 '71
Dec 18, 2007, 18:25
Meddle's pretty much just "space rock" -- not much "avant" about it. The start of their classic run which lasted until the end of the decade.

I don't think Umma or AHM sold very well in the states (did they chart well in Europe?) -- I'd have to agree "Revolution #9" got a lot more "penetration" into the public mind on this side of the pond.

Zappa's records had their avant moments too (Lumpy Gravy, bits of Weasels, "Nasal Retentive Calliope Music") and I believe these records sold more in the US than Floyd in the 60's.

Believe it or not Floyd's first album to reach the top 50 stateside was Obscurred By Clouds (so they did have some popularity-momentum going even before DSOTM) -- while I'm not sure Saucer or Atom Heart charted at all.

"Saucerful of Secrets" also has plenty of avant-ness (in the title track especially), and for that matter "Interstellar Overdrive" is pretty far out (starts like a surf instrumental, but that part in the middle is still practically a one of a kind moment in "rock.")

Unsung Forum Index