Re: Egg/Arzachel archive releases
Nov 21, 2007, 23:49
Cor!!!! I'm there!!!!
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Nov 22, 2007, 23:16
Pedantically anal of me to point this out I know, but that press release is incorrect in stating that Egg released three albums before their 1972 split. The third album was actually recorded post-split in 1974, hence the presence therein of The Northettes, female backing vocalists of the even finer band that Dave Stewart was in by that time. But I'm sure most of you knew that already.

In fact, I remember buying 'The Civil Surface' and Hatfields' awesome 'Let's Eat (Real Soon)' 45 on the same day from Newcastle's Virgin Records, then situated in a hashish-odoured shabby upstairs room on Ridley Place. I could only afford an LP a month in those (school)days but the release of the Egg album for only £1.46 on Virgin's cheapo Caroline imprint (my copy still bears the price sticker) allowed me the luxury of a single as well. And my, what a single I bought that day: the finest 45 ever in my humble (and excessively biased) opinion. Plus, Amanda Parsons became my teenage crush for a good week or so on the basis of her pic on the Egg sleeve! Ah, the memories...
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Nov 23, 2007, 00:49
Nov 23, 2007, 00:48
Yeah, I noticed that mistake about 'The Civil Surface' release date.....and yeah...I too had a crush on Amanda Parsons when I was 15!

Wonder where Parsons and Rosenthal are nowadays ?
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Dec 09, 2007, 06:42
has anyone p'chased the new Arzachel reissue? if memory serves, this is the 2nd official release on CD-the first being 1994, and lots of bootlegs inbetween.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Dec 09, 2007, 13:16
I'm expecting it to drop through the letterbox this week!

Really looking forward to the Egg archives release too, which is also about to arrive.

They were both released last friday
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Dec 10, 2007, 03:05
Jim Tones wrote:
I'm expecting it to drop through the letterbox this week!

Really looking forward to the Egg archives release too, which is also about to arrive.

They were both released last friday

I will hope for a listening report from you! I believe there are considerable sleeve notes and photographs, a synopsis would be very much appreceated

I have a Melody Maker issue directly after Rolling Stones Hyde park concert, which contains an advert for the Arzachel LP with a poem atttached, which can only be described as a piece of commercial juvenilia
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Dec 10, 2007, 13:59
Brief Lowdown!
Dec 10, 2007, 13:57
Well, the two releases (and the 'Copious Notes' booklet) arrived first thing this morning.

Haven't had much time to digest all the sound fully yet, but here goes.....

'THE METRONOMICAL SOCIETY'' is a real archive gem -

12 tracks in all, 7 tracks being radio broadcasts from 1969-72- obviously not totally clean in the sound, but great to hear versions of 'Germ Patrol' and 'Enneagram' before they were recorded for the 're-union' Civil Surface' LP later on.

Then there's 5 live tracks which are quite blistering- with that fuzz hammond sound on overdrive- it's mainly the 'Long Piece No.3' track from 'Polite Force' - so as an archive for Eggheads (!) - recommended!

Booklet with CD -
The foreward by good ol' Captain Sensible is a corker and the booklet also contains some tasty info and quotes from Campbell, Stewart and Brooks and friends who were there.

The 'ARZACHEL' CD -

A great remastered job all round and great to hear the fantastic 'Metempsychosis' track so clearly
There are a few bonus tracks which show Uriel transforming slowly into Egg - there's a great booklet too, with memories of the Uriel days

'COPIOUS NOTES - The inside story of Egg, Uriel, Arzachel & The Ottawa Company' - 50+ page booklet

Essential for trivia folks only, I wish more research could have been done i.e. complete life stories, views from artists and the like who were fans- made into a book and published by SAF Books -
£6.50 for a booklet is a bit steep maybe, but hell, you pay that for a couple of drinks around some parts!
*Worth it for me as there is a couple of pages on the recording of the fantastic track 'Boilk'- and 'Polite Force' in general

As I said - all essential for lovers of EGG !

hmmmm....I can feel my jeans getting wider at the bottom =8-[]

;-)
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Dec 11, 2007, 18:31
I am really interested in the Azrachel reissue waiting for better rate of exchange. That and Art's Supernatural Fairytales are two major/minor pysch pieces I have failed to pick up.
Suitcase of Courage
Suitcase of Courage
78 posts

Jan 23, 2008, 18:57
I believe there is a book that Dave Stewart write about Uriel/Arzachel.

Has anyone read it?
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Jan 23, 2008, 19:14
Suitcase of Courage wrote:
I believe there is a book that Dave Stewart write about Uriel/Arzachel.

Has anyone read it?

Maybe it's the booklet I mentioned on the thread above, if there is a book though, that would be a good read I'm sure.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index