67 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 31, 2007, 17:03
Re: tubular bells - quick straw poll
May 31, 2007, 16:49
I get you totally. Your stats do stack up for the business as a whole though those numbers are padded by the likes of Fopp and HMV throwing massive quantities of catalogue into the world at ludicrous prices where only the store are really seeing any money. The label is happy for the volume even at a micro profit as it pads their year end. The artist sees naff all.

My problem is on behalf of the artists who really really need the money i.e. the ones who sell 2000 copies of an album and would really like the extra tenner. They are the acts who are worst effected by the closure of retail on the one hand and the rise of soulseek etc because their records are often a pain in the ass to find by legitimate means.

If you hear about something good and want to get the record today or tomorrow then waiting for an album to turn up from from a micro label in Ohio or Umbria is for some people just too much of a pallaver (sp?). So they download it for free and I would imagine that only the very virtuous ever get around to buying a physical copy of the same record.

But yeah the cat is out of the bag on downloading and over-estimating the record buying public's intelligence never got anyone anywhere good. If you can't play live you are as good as fucked.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index