Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Drain'd Boner...in case there was any doubt....

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
HI DEN
HI DEN
814 posts

Re: Drain'd Boner...in case there was any doubt....
Oct 12, 2006, 10:33
The Interpreter was my introduction(though through floored genius 1) to Julian cope´s music about 10 years ago and since then obtained almost all of his output in their various forms.

For me it´s difficult to say what i like the best(though i have favorites), because i think they all have their moments at least and i´m interested in the overall process.One thing i really admire in his show is his (i think) ability to go on, to change according to the moment.

And i didn´t mean to try to slag your opinion in any nasty way, i just haven´t seen so much constructive discussion about this record.

ALL GOOD

and by the way i have only heard the vinyl
sttomas
sttomas
1123 posts

Oct 12, 2006, 10:45
There may be less constructive discussion about this record as it's a very difficult album to discuss compared to other releases that have "tunes" on them.
I started listening to Cope's music when Peggy Suicide was released, loved pretty much all his output until Citizen Cainn'd. After that his outpourings have no interest whatsoever. I was thinking about this the other day (for some reason), it feels to me that he's forgotten how to make an album. I miss the enjoyment that I used to feel listening to a new Cope album.

I'm not sure if I do admire him for going on (having the ability to yes), and i think that's because I've been so dissappoointed with his recent releases. I was at the point when I preferred the Brain Donor stuff to his solo stuff, but since I don't like this album I don't even have that!

True, his albums have their moments, but i'm finding them more few and far between these days.

btw, welcome to HH, hope you do have fun here. It's not all moaning about recent Cope releases!!
HI DEN
HI DEN
814 posts

Oct 12, 2006, 12:44
Thanks!

I also like the teardrops in their way very much and his 80´s and 90´s output, but i somehow feel the "vibe" more stronger with the recent stuff and citizen cain´d even kicked a new gear in in my liking.

and doesn´t the boner also have tunes in it?
puddytat
puddytat
52 posts

Oct 12, 2006, 20:42
HI DEN wrote:

and doesn´t the boner also have tunes in it?

Oh man, you guys were doing so well... I agree, I am guilty of letting my emotions run roughshod on the DB release. I don't mean to slag those who appreciate it. My frustration is knowing what is possible based on what has come before. The comment that JC has forgotten how to make a record has a ring of truth. Once, it was endearing to hear "Soul desert, take one" at the beginning of Jehoovahkill. At to that the one-take charm of Skellington and you have the "creating in the moment" concept in its purest form. But my problem with this here wreckerd is its one-take predictability. Doggenchain fumbling through clunker notes to hit the correct refrain (then repeated 1,000 times) is frustrating. I buy everything because I WANT TO LIKE IT, even knowing what has immediately preceded it. I also made the observation that calling one thing DONOR, one thing RITE BASTARD, and another thing CITIZEN CAIN'D is pointless because, to paraphrase Janis, "It's all the same fucking day, man!" That is ultimately what frustrates me the most. If they weren't all coming from the same place, I wouldn't be so unmerciful. I'd just focus on a different aspect of JC's output. But I keep listening, keep hoping that this dark phase will pass.
GeeZa
GeeZa
137 posts

Edited Oct 13, 2006, 03:09
Oct 13, 2006, 03:08
Well my copy arrived in the USA today, a little bent and bruised but intact.

Erm, it's phenomenal. I openly confess this is only three spins in (actually four of side one), but it grabbed me by the bollocks immediately. Cope hasn't lost it, he's fucking found it. What "it" is I have no idea, but "it'" is dark. I suspect he's found some way to communicate directly with the Black Stone at Mecca and knows 'things' and has attempted to communicate them to us in valve-based aural form.

Side One is a killer. That evil circular riff about half-way through "Nagasaki Mushroom" is frankly astounding and it is fitting that only drums and thunder muster the strength to banish it. An incredible track of black doom that seems to spiral in on itself then unravel then spiral back into some sort of cosmic Iommian swirl. Ends very Volume IV. "Pa Doden's Trae" sounds like the first Sabbath LP but on some kind of new fangled downer narcotic. Let's pretend it exists and is called "Voidesctay". Totally and utterly fucked-up with vocals that sound like Nick Cave pissed out of his mind and about to end it all with a shotgun. The fact that the side completes with the relatively straight-forward up-tempo No Wave rocker "Where Do We Take You" is just plain funny.

Side Two's opener "Metsamor" (which I can't help reading as 'Matzameal' the favourite Jewish ingredient) is some kind of free-roaming nihilistic vision. Like Stone Henge built with black marble and sitting proudly on the whistling red sand dunes of Mars. It appears to lose it's way towards the end, then *that* Iommi riff kicks in, then the thunder starts rumbling in the background and you can only apologise to your record deck for doubting it for one second. Brings the whole track to an appropriate conclusion. "Just About Now" ends the record in pretty much complete shouty chaos and kinda leaves the whole album dangling by a tether like the astronaut in 2001AD who slips off his ship. Questions people, questions. One thing we do know, the pop sensibility has been sucked right out of the fucking airlock.

Drain'd Bonor sounds like nothing I've heard before and yet, obviously, sounds like everything I've heard. Makoto, DMBQ, Denudes, Sabbath, Earth, Crimson, The Melvins, it's all there somewhere, wrapped up in a little dark parcel and delivered to your door by the Reaper himself. C.O.D baby.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Oct 13, 2006, 06:07
No I don't have that one. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Someone should review those Bathory records on Unsung. I also like Ulver a lot. Brilliant band though the last album was a bit iffy. A bit too Sisters of Mercy for my liking.

IB
dee
1955 posts

Oct 13, 2006, 09:31
Yeeeeeeaaaahhhhhhhhhhh............................!
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Oct 13, 2006, 09:41
perfect, dont you recon mushroom sounds like flower travellin band- sartori, spesh that high pitched vocal. gets better with every lisen, mushroom and metsamor are my faves, i still think it sounds like it's seeped out of a crack in the ground, straight outa the underworld.
Beebon
1375 posts

Oct 13, 2006, 10:40
Yes, it reminded me of Satori as well!!!!
puddytat
puddytat
52 posts

Oct 13, 2006, 15:43
I want GeeZa's copy! It sounds much better than mine.
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index