9573 posts

Re: Grand Funk (Ramble)
Jun 18, 2006, 15:43
It's one of my fave reggae albums.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jun 18, 2006, 17:46
i shall peruse the net in search of the Abyssinians to find if they do indeed merit a higher position.By a strange coincidence Fitter Stoke has been singing the praises of another fine '76 album ''Rainbow Rising'' which is one of the reasons i missed out on the Abyssinians, too busy getting pissed on cheap cider, smoking No.6's and pretending i was a badass rock type chappy[oh the shame] ;-)
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Jun 18, 2006, 18:30
I toyed with including Rainbow Rising but however much I enjoy Dio* in full voice its not quite the record it could have been. The first album has better songs (if an inferior band) and On Stage is a better document of the Bain / Powell / Dio era I think. After that I stopped caring.

* Must look and see if anyone has Unsunged 'Heaven and Hell' yet.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 19, 2006, 06:29
Jun 18, 2006, 18:43
'Satta Massagana' is what you might have wished Culture albums were going to sound like - melodic AND heavy. Every tune is a corker. Not necessarily sonically adventurous but it's the tunes that earn it its place next to 'Super Ape' and 'Man In The Hills' in terms of the pantheon of 1976 reggae releases.

If we're moving out of um ... classic rock territory then the first Ramones album, 'Udu Wudu', 'Runaways' and possibly even '801 Live' are all worth a shout. It was however slim pickings by and large unless 'Go', 'Timeless Flight' or 'Automatic Man' crank your proverbial.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jun 18, 2006, 18:56
Always thought the first Rainbow was just a template for the superior live versions, with the exception of Temple Of The King which i've always had a soft spot for.
Rising is great though, the sound is just phenomenal, i could never work out why it was always 25% louder than any other record i had, i love the riff to Do You Close Yr Eyes, Light In The Black is Achilles Last Stand's snotty little cousin and Stargazer is RDJ's finest moment.
funnily enough i just mentioned today that H&H could be regarded as one of Sabbath's finest moments, certainly overlooked as far as i'm concerned.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jun 18, 2006, 19:03
you've sold me on Satta Massagana, and '76 has Jailbreak and Johnny The Fox as well, 2 Thin Lizzy albums in one year, what more could a man ask for?
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 18, 2006, 19:19
Jun 18, 2006, 19:19
Praising H&H can get you in to serious trouble in some company!

Personally I'd put it up there with 'Sabotage' even though it is more pomp than sulphate it has still got some wonderful Golden Earing type moments. Lyrically it is really really silly but it is also Tony Iommi's last really focussed effort in the studio and Dio is in brilliant voice. Seems they both had something to prove to former band mates. The 20 minute live version of the title track which turns up on Live Evil and segues in and out of Southern Cross is also completely ridiculous.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jun 18, 2006, 19:44
H&H and to a certain extent Mob Rules are great[he said quietly]
the 15 min live version of H&H on the b-side of one of the singles is great, Iommi is in overdrive, saw them 3 times on the H&H tour and they just got better and better, better than Sabbath in 78 with Ozzy or the first Blizzard Of Ozz tours which were pretty shithot but not close to the 80 tour.Then came Born Again-oh dear.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index