Unsung Forum »
writers wanted: a proposition

34 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
rough_trade
1 posts

Re: writers wanted: a proposition
Sep 27, 2004, 23:05
Hi i think your magazine sounds great,here is an example of my writing...

The following review has been published on http://www.dukester.uk2k.com/ if you'd like to see it in that context aswell...

Headlining
*Teevo

Supporting
One Unique Signal
+
The Edmund Fitzgerald

Venue
The Colchester Arts Centre

Date
19th of August 2004

The only other occasions I have been to the Arts Centre were when I saw “Athlete” and “The Killers” respectively. At both these times the venue was packed right up to the door and beyond. I then naturally assumed that “the curse of the arts centre” was just an urban rock n roll myth...However, obviously those occasions were rarities...
Not soon after I arrived at the venue, a very tall lofty geezer with a vibrant tea cozy on his head informed me he had just heard that the first band due on stage “The Edmund Fitzgerald’s” ,were going to be delayed, something about the Mystery Machine breaking down. What with the meager turn out and this place being 1 act short of a line up, things weren’t looking so good.
After what seemed like an hour of waiting there came the mildest cheer a crowd this size could muster as the Edmunds arrived. The turnout, plus their less than smooth journey from Oxford didn’t seem to hinder them as they took to the stage…
As composed and as well rehearsed as this trio obviously were, it didn’t take long for me to acquire the dreaded gig disease of the fidgets during the odd 35 minutes of their performance, the first half hour consisting of just two songs. Both which started out great, and would have obvious potential if their needlessly and ineffectively long length were shortened.
A welcomingly swift interval preceded the London quartet “One Unique Signal”. I had heard bits and bobs from this band, and my expectations were high.
The opener “Lowry” was a first-class indie rock effort, and truly set the form for their whole set. The energy from drummer/singer Lee was admirable, and they were blatantly brimming with energy and youthful promise. May I suggest however, (well of course I can it’s my bloody review) perhaps a name change?? (Sorry, but u hear one unique signal, you hear one true voice).This band don’t speak much onstage, which isn’t rare and sometimes, based on the mindless gap filling “humor” from some bands, is welcome, and luckily for them, their endless exuberance deflects from any fear of bland personalities.
Deciding to put concerns about missing the train aside, I watched as local crew “*Teevo” –don’t forget the star now! , appear for the final curtain.
A considerable change of pace ensued, after the slightly indie prog-rock tones of One Unique Signal and the similar prog (math) rock of the Edmunds, my ears pricked up as *Teevo began to stretch their punk rock chords.
According to a member of the band, they are always getting told they should be supporting King Adora “somewhere in Camden”. I could see this sure, but until that happens, their stature was fine just as it was placed. I won’t sugar the pill here, this aint my thing. The singer is a screechy hazard, and not in a good way, in the fingernails down the chalkboard kinda way. The lyrics were your standard, heard it all before try hard punk stuff. The sound, good, and you can tell these guys have instrumental talent, maybe a change in vocal-style? Or maybe even vocal-ist…? As it is, these guys appeal very well to their desired market, that “oo what a nasty punk I am” market just aint mine.
After pegging it to the trainy, just in time to catch the Essex express, I sat down looking forward to grabbing more material to hear from one true voice, I mean unique signal, so that gig certainly wasn’t a bust. “Apparently”, the Arts Centre isn’t considered a cool place to be seen in. Well personally, I think it’s a coolass venue, good sized stage, bar, crowd space, and good sound. And all this despite the fact this is “the devil’s” music we’re listening to, and we’re listening to it in a formerly active church.

my email address is [email protected]

thanks for your time
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index