Unsung Forum »
Gene Clark

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
lademell
68 posts

Re: Gene Clark
Sep 21, 2014, 01:35
Gene Clark was worth twenty Gram Parsons(es) in my estimation. A shame that, excepting the recognition via original fan Ivo, his work has only started to get building appreciation in the last 15 years or so...
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Sep 21, 2014, 01:58
Sep 21, 2014, 01:51
Is that story of Sly Stone moseying into the recording of No Other [the song] from another room in the studio and saying, "I dig it!" ( or something along those lines) apocryphal?

ETA: Actually, I think I remember reading he might even have contributed to a couple of the songs...
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Sep 21, 2014, 02:21
Sep 21, 2014, 02:16
By the way, as No Other seems to overshadow the rest in terms of how much it's talked about, I should point out that Gene Clark With The Gosdin Brothers is another fun, jangly, country-tinged Byrds album in all but name (OK, no McGuinn here), and it came out a year before Sweetheart, and The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard & Clark is a classic in a similar vein but even more substantial (and it really upped the stakes in terms of production). White Light's got some good songs, but it's a little too much of a straight-ahead Dylan homage for me, and Roadmaster is a bit of a hodge-podge from what I can remember, though not a bad one so far as they go.
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Sep 21, 2014, 02:49
His music beautifully compliments a Californian road trip. Even in the eighties, he made a few gems. Sadly some are very badly produced, almost like promos.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Sep 21, 2014, 17:29
Sep 21, 2014, 12:41
Sin Agog wrote:
By the way, as No Other seems to overshadow the rest in terms of how much it's talked about, I should point out that Gene Clark With The Gosdin Brothers is another fun, jangly, country-tinged Byrds album in all but name (OK, no McGuinn here), and it came out a year before Sweetheart, and The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard & Clark is a classic in a similar vein but even more substantial (and it really upped the stakes in terms of production). White Light's got some good songs, but it's a little too much of a straight-ahead Dylan homage for me, and Roadmaster is a bit of a hodge-podge from what I can remember, though not a bad one so far as they go.

As Jasonaparkes details above, Sid Griffin of the Long Ryders compiled a superb anthology called "Flying High" that cherry-picks nearly all the highlights of his other albums all the different projects he was involved in throughout his life. I have it, but sadly it's long out of print now.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index