Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Re: Calling All Londoners!
May 08, 2016, 00:12
Dear Mark,

It is now clear that Thursday’s elections are showing the real progress that Labour has made since we set a new course last autumn.

We’ve increased our vote share since 2015.

We won the most councillors across the country – more than any other party.

We were expected to lose lots of key councils – and we didn’t.

Carwyn Jones has held Wales for Labour, so that we can continue to deliver for all the people of Wales.

I want to pay tribute to Kezia Dugdale for running such a principled and energetic campaign in Scotland. We know that convincing the Scottish electorate that it is Labour not the SNP that will stand up for them will take time.

Sadiq Khan won the first Mayoral election for Labour since 2004, smashing a campaign of division from David Cameron’s candidate. They put out more leaflets with pictures of me and Sadiq than they did telling people what they would do for London.

And against all the odds and predictions we’ve won a stunning victory in Bristol with Marvin Rees winning for Labour overwhelmingly. I took the congratulations and thanks of party members everywhere to Bristol today to make sure Marvin knows how delighted we all are.

You can join me in congratulating all our successful candidates.

These results are happening as more and more people are coming to see David Cameron’s government as failed and unfair. Our message of hope and opportunity and that Britain is better off with Labour, is really beginning to hit home. Labour is standing up, not standing by.

The need for our work campaigning continues, so today in Manchester Tom Watson began his European referendum tour mobilising members. Tom is travelling around the country as part of our 'Labour In for Britain' campaign. To join him find out when there is an event near you.

Over the coming months I look forward to continue putting forward our vision for Britain. Together, as a party and a movement, we can take the next steps in our campaign to change our country.

Thank you,

Jeremy Corbyn
Leader of the Labour Party
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited May 08, 2016, 00:19
May 08, 2016, 00:18
Labour are a fucked in Scotland though and in other regions. More about normal politics, methinks!
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

May 08, 2016, 13:47
Scotland was never an issue in the first place, it was a lost cause for all parties apart from SNP, and who are nothing more than scottish tories anyway.

Labour's figures have been declining since 1999, when they held 56/129 seats, 50/129 in 2003, 46/129 in 2007, 37/129 in 2011 and so forth. To blame Corbyn for that is quite honestly just stupid, it's just the natural state of things as people's allegiances change.

As for local elections in 1995 Blair got 46% councillors won and called a landslide for Labour, in 2006, cameron got 41% and called their best result for years, Corbyn got 47% and it's called a disaster!!!

There is an election map of the results, interestingly it's pretty much a sea of red across England and Wales! To say Labour are fucked is just idiotic considering how much more support they're getting from unions and the huge increase in public support and membership!
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited May 08, 2016, 14:32
May 08, 2016, 14:26
Captain Starlet wrote:
Scotland was never an issue in the first place, it was a lost cause for all parties apart from SNP, and who are nothing more than scottish tories anyway.

Labour's figures have been declining since 1999, when they held 56/129 seats, 50/129 in 2003, 46/129 in 2007, 37/129 in 2011 and so forth. To blame Corbyn for that is quite honestly just stupid, it's just the natural state of things as people's allegiances change.

As for local elections in 1995 Blair got 46% councillors won and called a landslide for Labour, in 2006, cameron got 41% and called their best result for years, Corbyn got 47% and it's called a disaster!!!

There is an election map of the results, interestingly it's pretty much a sea of red across England and Wales! To say Labour are fucked is just idiotic considering how much more support they're getting from unions and the huge increase in public support and membership!

Scotland invented The Labour Party, and to see us treated like fools is remarkable, and quite sad because we are! The SNP rule Scotland. Hands down! Good. A leftish entity now.

The London thing is a totally different matter though. I am so happy Labour won in London.

Scotland is a different issue entirely,.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

May 08, 2016, 14:42
Yes Scotland is a different issue, just a shame there's so little left wing presence up there now.

However looking at the UK as a whole the elections were a resounding success for Labour and a hammering for the tories, the figures are below

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/local-election-results-2016-your-7907123
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

May 08, 2016, 15:11
Captain Starlet wrote:
Yes Scotland is a different issue, just a shame there's so little left wing presence up there now.

However looking at the UK as a whole the elections were a resounding success for Labour and a hammering for the tories, the figures are below

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/local-election-results-2016-your-7907123

You must be joking. There's 3 or 4 left wing Labour supporters, but more in Scotland with the SNP to realise. The Tory figures are for the rich areas. And believe it or not there are rich areas in Scotland, as there are anywhere else.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

May 08, 2016, 15:21
You do know the SNP are known as the 'Tartan Tories' around the country? Many people still hold a grudge against them for their actions in 1979 which led to 11 years of thatcherism and the destruction of public services under her regime! Without them we may well have been spared that.

Many people during the lat election were scared that if Labour had a chance of winning the only way they'd be able to do that would be with a coalition with the SNP, something people in England and Wales did not want, and I don't blame them
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited May 08, 2016, 15:42
May 08, 2016, 15:33
Captain Starlet wrote:
You do know the SNP are known as the 'Tartan Tories' around the country? Many people still hold a grudge against them for their actions in 1979 which led to 11 years of thatcherism and the destruction of public services under her regime! Without them we may well have been spared that.

Many people during the lat election were scared that if Labour had a chance of winning the only way they'd be able to do that would be with a coalition with the SNP, something people in England and Wales did not want, and I don't blame them

You are not getting away with that Slur, Sir. Tartan Tories my ass. Been to Glasgow recentely? There are hardly any Tories, and no proper Labour to even give a shit. The SNP care for our country and it's people...and everybody else too. We just want a social democracy, and self determination.

OK, the last ref went 45/55, but it won't stop us fighting for our rights.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

May 08, 2016, 16:21
How have your rights been denied as part of the UK exactly? They haven't, just like they haven't in Wales! I don't support nationalism, too much sounding like ukip for me who also portray themselves as supporting the people when they're just concerned with their own self interests, Sturgeon's self interests are just a one trick pony bleating on about another independence vote when she knows perfectly well that it was a once in a generation vote and it was lost because the people didn't want it. So basically she's being anti-democratic and actually not at all interested in what the people want in any way. Just like the tories!
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited May 08, 2016, 18:06
May 08, 2016, 18:02
Captain Starlet wrote:
How have your rights been denied as part of the UK exactly? They haven't, just like they haven't in Wales! I don't support nationalism, too much sounding like ukip for me who also portray themselves as supporting the people when they're just concerned with their own self interests, Sturgeon's self interests are just a one trick pony bleating on about another independence vote when she knows perfectly well that it was a once in a generation vote and it was lost because the people didn't want it. So basically she's being anti-democratic and actually not at all interested in what the people want in any way. Just like the tories!

1) We have been fighting a 300 year old war
2) Nationialism in Scotland is miles away from UKIP
3) It is not anti-democratic to argue. Quite the opposite
4) We are not killing people
5) We Don't hate anybody
6) Ask Ireland
7) Freedom
8) Even I don't mind a decent coalition
9) Free guitars for everybody
10) Make it up!
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index